Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoboTheTwit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Here's my situation in a nutshell.
I've got a 2011 13" MBP and an XBox and a PS3. My parents don't want me having a gaming console in my room, but they're okay with the laptop. Since I have both consoles, I plan on keeping one in my room, but I only have one monitor (I play consoles on my 24" monitor). I'd leave the monitor where it is, and hook up my PS3 to my HDMI->mini display port and use my MBP as the monitor.

I know this sounds crazy, and its an output only port, but I think there's an easy enough workaround. Unfortunately, I'm 14 and don't have the programming skills.

Since Thunderbolt is hooked up directly to the core of the system, and doesn't have to run through an operating system and drivers to function, I think it could be used as a display input port. Using a HDMI -> mDP adapter, I could use the thunderbolt port as a HDMI input for my PS3.
Since this would be extremely difficult to incorporate into a Mac App (I think...), it would make more sense to write a Linux build specifically for 720p thunderbolt input.
I know Linux is used in TV's, so I see no reason why it wouldn't agree with HDCP.

What I'm hoping for is for somebody superior to me to come up with a dead simple Linux build dedicated to video input. Sound isn't necessary, a GUI isn't necessary, even a command line isn't necessary. Set the only resolution to 1280x720 (720p), and have the display input send the picture to the MacBook's monitor.

Googling "use macbook as monitor" brings on a boatload of "not possible" answers, and I just came up with this idea. I'm really hoping it would work, because it would be pretty awesome.

If you have anything to say about this, positive, negative, and whatever else, post a reply or email me at bobothetwit@gmail.com.

Thanks.

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Here's my situation in a nutshell.
I've got a 2011 13" MBP and an XBox and a PS3. My parents don't want me having a gaming console in my room, but they're okay with the laptop. Since I have both consoles, I plan on keeping one in my room, but I only have one monitor (I play consoles on my 24" monitor). I'd leave the monitor where it is, and hook up my PS3 to my HDMI->mini display port and use my MBP as the monitor.

I know this sounds crazy, and its an output only port, but I think there's an easy enough workaround. Unfortunately, I'm 14 and don't have the programming skills.

Since Thunderbolt is hooked up directly to the core of the system, and doesn't have to run through an operating system and drivers to function, I think it could be used as a display input port. Using a HDMI -> mDP adapter, I could use the thunderbolt port as a HDMI input for my PS3.
Since this would be extremely difficult to incorporate into a Mac App (I think...), it would make more sense to write a Linux build specifically for 720p thunderbolt input.
I know Linux is used in TV's, so I see no reason why it wouldn't agree with HDCP.

What I'm hoping for is for somebody superior to me to come up with a dead simple Linux build dedicated to video input. Sound isn't necessary, a GUI isn't necessary, even a command line isn't necessary. Set the only resolution to 1280x720 (720p), and have the display input send the picture to the MacBook's monitor.

Googling "use macbook as monitor" brings on a boatload of "not possible" answers, and I just came up with this idea. I'm really hoping it would work, because it would be pretty awesome.

If you have anything to say about this, positive, negative, and whatever else, post a reply or email me at bobothetwit@gmail.com.

Thanks.
The port is output only, and is not wired in any way shape or form to the display. It just can't work. Sorry.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
The port is output only, and is not wired in any way shape or form to the display. It just can't work. Sorry.

If the Thunderbolt port is output only, does that mean you can only write to TB connected hard drives? I thought TB was 10Gbps bidirectional, full duplex?

Either way, it's not possible to do what the OP is asking for. Besides the technical problems, HDCP would also be an issue.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
If the Thunderbolt port is output only, does that mean you can only write to TB connected hard drives? I thought TB was 10Gbps bidirectional, full duplex?

Either way, it's not possible to do what the OP is asking for. Besides the technical problems, HDCP would also be an issue.

The video portion of the port is output only.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
At present the only way you're going to get video input to the MBP screen is through the FireWire or USB ports, and not via HDMI. You can use something like a component video to FireWire converter, but it will cost $$$. Regardless, there is no simple software solution. It's going to require external hardware.

An even better question to ask is: if you're only 14 and your parents don't want you gaming in your room, why are you trying to circumvent their wishes?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
An even better question to ask is: if you're only 14 and your parents don't want you gaming in your room, why are you trying to circumvent their wishes?

Agreed! Exactly my thoughts. Isn't playing a game console in your room, whether thru your laptop or thru a tv the same thing.? You still are playing video games in your room which is what they don't want. Even if possible (which it is not), as soon as they caught you, you would lose both your laptop and gaming console.

BoboTheTwit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Thanks snaky69, Eddyisgreat, IllIllIll, and old-wiz. I was hoping the same principals of data in/out as video in this situation. Too bad.

IllIllIll -
and
paulrbeers -
Agreed! Exactly my thoughts. Isn't playing a game console in your room, whether thru your laptop or thru a tv the same thing.? You still are playing video games in your room which is what they don't want. Even if possible (which it is not), as soon as they caught you, you would lose both your laptop and gaming console.

Yeah, you two are right. I would end up only doing this for if I went to a friends house, etc. but the thought came to me when I was longing for MW3 in my room. I included that information to clarify the situation I was talking about, as I know I get confusing and start rambling whenever I post things.
And even if I did, it's not the act of gaming they disapprove of, it's the sitting in front of a screen all day (which I don't do. They just think I do because when they were kids trees weren't invented. [EXAGGERATION]). It's part of my nature to circumvent rules I disagree with.

This is a Mac forum, not a parenting lesson!

Thanks for all the quick replies, this was much more than I was expecting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.