Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unkinkedash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
Hey guys, I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012 and its battery is not that good as it was before. And sometimes I use it a lot while the charger is plugged and green. Doing that can cause any damage to the hardware or even the battery itself? Thanks!

bobbie424242

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2015
I kept mine like this (macbook always plugged to charger) for 3 years and not long ago battery started to swell. You will probably never get this problem but maybe make sure to not always keep the charger plugged and sometimes use the battery a bit.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Yep, if done for a long period of time, like months and months, I would unplug occasionally.

When you say your battery is not as good as before, how bad is it?
I agree with this, but I would expand this to say that doing his for extended periods would cause further degradation of the battery (I.e. further reduce possible battery life), but it won’t cause any damage to the rest of the computer itself if OP is fine with always using it plugged in.

At almost 6-7 years old, the battery is probably almost shot anyways, so I wouldn’t worry too much about using plugged in all the time. If this was a newer computer I’d say don’t because it will ruin the battery life.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I agree with this, but I would expand this to say that doing his for extended periods would cause further degradation of the battery (I.e. further reduce possible battery life), but it won’t cause any damage to the rest of the computer itself if OP is fine with always using it plugged in.

At almost 6-7 years old, the battery is probably almost shot anyways, so I wouldn’t worry too much about using plugged in all the time. If this was a newer computer I’d say don’t because it will ruin the battery life.

Yep I would watch out for the battery swelling if it was in really poor shape. Charging a bad battery can cause it to swell.

Reactions: Painter2002

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I think Apple used to (still does?) advise you to unplug your machine and cycle the battery once a month. I remember specifically that there was even an iCal (.ics) file you could download that would remind you to do this monthly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.