Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reismeis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
Hi,

I've been looking all over the internet but can't seem to find an answer to my question. I have a new MBPr 13inch from the US (8GB RAM, 256GB drive). Now that I'm back in Europe, I want to use my European AC power cord that belonged to my MBA (2008) Magsafe charger, with the new (American) Magsafe 2 charger that came with the new laptop, so I don't have to use an adapter to plug it in. Is this safe? Can I also use the "duckhead" European plug that was on my old Magsafe charger?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
IIRC the small "duck head" pull off sections are interchangeable.

Isnt the charger universal voltage with auto sense ??

... apologies if not.... so check before you plug a US psu into 220v !

M.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
If I understand your question correctly, yes you can.
The charger is the same (100 to 240v) just the plug/lead is localised.
IE in the USA you get an American lead and plug head, in Europe you get the European one and in the UK you get the 3 pin variant.

Barney

reismeis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
Thanks

Thanks everyone! I was asking specifically because the AC power cord belongs to the old Magsafe while my charger is the new Magsafe 2. So I guess that should be OK then!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
IE in the USA you get an American lead and plug head, in Europe you get the European one and in the UK you get the 3 pin variant.

Barney

Wow...I must be one lucky chap. I ordered my rMBPs from the Apple online store in Malaysia (I currently live there), and in both occasions, there were 4 duck heads in the box (1 US, 1 EU and 2 UK-duck head and long extension cord).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.