Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
i know its possible to use an apple airport to share wifi, but i dont have that luxury where i am at. the way i connect through the internet is through a USB modem stick.

my question is:

is it possible to share the internet through my MBP without using an airport or router of any kind? i saw some videos on youtube on a PC sharing internet and i would love to try to connect my XBOX to it. not to play online, its waaaay too slow for that... but to connect to my profile and update if i need to.

any ideas or way i can do this with my usb modem?

also if anyone has suggestions on how to get better internet through those things im open for that too.

just wasnt really sure where to post this.

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
If your MBP is connected through the ethernet port you simply need to open up airport and start your own network from there, there isn't much else to it.

You can also share from your ethernet port or firewire ports when connected through airport, though I haven't tried it yet.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Sharing is possible through the Mac as everyone else has said. You could also purchase a router that will use a USB modem as the internet source to create the network as well.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Only routers designed to handle a USB cellular modem would work in the OPs case. Not too many of those around but they do exist and would probably be an excellent long term solution.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
Only routers designed to handle a USB cellular modem would work in the OPs case. Not too many of those around but they do exist and would probably be an excellent long term solution.

sounds about right. its short term for about 5 more months so no biggie. and i have seen a couple over here, brand specific not unlocked, but its too late to upgrade to that now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.