Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talwarsirav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
I use my iPhone 6s Plus 128GB as my primary phone for personal, business and all entertainment needs. But I already have an iPhone 6 16GB with me. How can I use it as a spare phone?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What exactly do you mean as a spare phone? What do you want to do with it in particular?

talwarsirav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
I'm an entrepreneur, I mostly use Microsoft Office and Apple iWork on my 6s Plus. Now I have this spare phone with me and I'm confused as to what I can do with it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm an entrepreneur, I mostly use Microsoft Office and Apple iWork on my 6s Plus. Now I have this spare phone with me and I'm confused as to what I can do with it.
Do you need a second phone for something? If not, you can use it like a smaller iPad mini if you need a second device somewhere, or you can keep it as a backup (in case something happens to the phone you have), or possibly sell it or give it to someone (like a relative or a friend), etc.

talwarsirav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
If you can't find a use for it, why not sell it?
It has ridiculous value
[doublepost=1461613191][/doublepost]
Confused? Sell it while it still has good value.
It has ridiculous value

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Doorstop
Salad tongs (you'll need to use your 6s for this too)
Will it bend test device
lightning cable and headphone jack holder
large knife for peanut butter spreading

If this doesn't help, I'll send more.

Reactions: venomgt95

talwarsirav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
Do you need a second phone for something? If not, you can use it like a smaller iPad mini if you need a second device somewhere, or you can keep it as a backup (in case something happens to the phone you have), or possibly sell it or give it to someone (like a relative or a friend), etc.
I'm confused of the best way to use a second phone. A thing that I can actually need to do on two phones.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

It has ridiculous value
[doublepost=1461613191][/doublepost]
It has ridiculous value
Seems like various options have been provided--basically you can do anything you want with it, or nothing at all.
[doublepost=1461613283][/doublepost]
I'm confused of the best way to use a second phone. A thing that I can actually need to do on two phones.
Do you need to use the second phone for something, or are you fine with just using one phone?

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
I use my iPhone 6s Plus 128GB as my primary phone for personal, business and all entertainment needs. But I already have an iPhone 6 16GB with me. How can I use it as a spare phone?
I too, have a 6S Plus and a 6 that the + replaced, but still have. For my situation, I use the small phone for times when size and weight are nuisances or not needed (mountain bike riding, for example), or if I need an extra iPod for my car or playlists for a house party.
It's also just nice to have around a back up phone if your main phone has a problem, or you break the screen, for example (which just recently happened to me). Then you can use the smaller back up phone until you fix the plus at your leisure.
Then when the time comes, before the iPhone 7 plus/pro comes out and before plus prices dip, I'll sell the big phone and use the smaller one until I find the 7 for much less than retail.
Using my examples, I end up saving a lot of money, time, and stress in the long run by having a back up iphone.

Reactions: talwarsirav

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I too, have a 6S Plus and a 6 that the + replaced, but still have. For my situation, I use the small phone for times when size and weight are nuisances (mountain bike riding, for example), or if I need an extra iPod.
It's also just nice to have around a back up phone if your main phone has a problem, or you break the screen, for example. Then you can use the smaller back up phone until you fix the plus at your leisure.
Then when the time comes, before the iPhone 7 plus/pro comes out and before plus prices dip, I'll sell the big phone and use the smaller one until I find the 7 for much less than retail.
Using my examples, I end up saving a lot of money, time, and stress in the long run by having a back up iphone.

Ummmm you need to spend a lot up front to even save that money......

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
Ummmm you need to spend a lot up front to even save that money......

Spending money up front is worth it to me if I can reap bigger benefits later on.
For example, you can eat cheap, crappy food now, and spend much more money on health care later on along with emotional issues that can be attributed from health issues worth more than money.
Or, you can spend more money now on organic, healthy foods, take care of yourself, and live your life without huge medical bills, medications, and emotional problems that may be attributed with it down the road. I would rather choose this path. I pay more now, but save much more later, plus extra benefits.

The following example of my phone money saving is only based on someone who likes to have a new, upgraded phone at every generation. Obviously keeping a phone for multiple years will save even more. But for me, life is too short for slower, older technology that pisses me off as long it doesn't hurt my lifestyle.

Before I bought my 6s plus (128GB), I had the 6 and my old backup phone, the 5S(64gb).
I sold the 5S for $450 at the time the 6S series was introduced. Had I sold the 5S months after the S release, I may have only got $300 or less for it. So the difference I saved by selling it at the right time vs later netted me at least +$150. I could not have had an extra $150 without another backup. This is an example of my money savings. Plus, I have a back up for all the other examples I listed above.

I used the $450 from the sale to buy my current 6S Plus (128gb) for $680 (by being patient) when it retails at $1015 with tax included. So, when all was concluded, I only paid $230 for my $1015 phone AND I have a back up phone ready to do the same thing when the 7 series comes out.

Last edited:
Reactions: talwarsirav

talwarsirav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
I too, have a 6S Plus and a 6 that the + replaced, but still have. For my situation, I use the small phone for times when size and weight are nuisances or not needed (mountain bike riding, for example), or if I need an extra iPod for my car or playlists for a house party.
It's also just nice to have around a back up phone if your main phone has a problem, or you break the screen, for example (which just recently happened to me). Then you can use the smaller back up phone until you fix the plus at your leisure.
Thanks Skorpio, that's as good a reply as I could have imagined.

Reactions: Skorpio

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Keep it as a second phone for overseas traveling with local sim, give it to a family member \ friend, or resell it.

First world problems… o_O

highlystrange

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2015
ÜT: 42.710806,-71.447929
I don't travel much but when I do, I'm paranoid about critical devices breaking or getting lost. Aside from carrying a spare watch, spare glasses and so on, I always travel with a spare phone. The consequences of a broken phone--as your flight is being cancelled in the middle of nowhere during a snowstorm--are major. I'm surprised more people don't do it. I happen to have an iPhone 6 (my main phone is the 6S+); when I go somewhere, it comes with me.

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
I don't travel much but when I do, I'm paranoid about critical devices breaking or getting lost. Aside from carrying a spare watch, spare glasses and so on, I always travel with a spare phone. The consequences of a broken phone--as your flight is being cancelled in the middle of nowhere during a snowstorm--are major. I'm surprised more people don't do it. I happen to have an iPhone 6 (my main phone is the 6S+); when I go somewhere, it comes with me.
I like the way you think, as I carry an EDC(every day carry/bug out bag) with me every where I go. I had thought of carrying my back up phone in it. But so far I haven't yet, as I haven't decided if it would benefit me in a bug out situation, and space is a premium in the backpack. However, if I travel via airplane, I do carry the back up. Far from home, it could be a life saver

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.