Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
New York
I went with my friend to get the S1 today. She wanted an Apple Watch even though she doesn’t have an iPhone. I told her that a Fitbit would be better if she didn’t want to switch from android but she didn’t go for it.

She mostly just wants to track her heart rate and get the weather. I told her she wouldn’t get notifications for messages or phone calls. She’s ok with that.

So she paid for it and I told her I’d set it up. Here’s my current situation: I made an Apple ID in her name (her email, phone number, etc) from my unused iPhone and got the watch all set up.

Here’s my question: I’m supposed to give it to her on Monday. If I connect to her house WiFi with my old iPhone, and then erase it (I’d like to sell my old iPhone SE to help pay for my iPhone 7) WiFi will still work for just the watch, correct? I could probably sell her my iPhone SE for like

What if I needed to fix a setting or something? Can I connect to it with my iPhone 7 and then forget her watch?

Also, I noticed that when I logged in with her Apple ID on iCloud, under My Devices her Apple Watch doesn’t show up. Nothing there. Shouldn’t matter but still.

Thanks!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Afaik Apple Watch is still tied to iPhone. For Wifi part, yes, her watch will continue to connect to the WiFi connected from the iPhone. But Apple Watch can not connect to a new WiFi network.
If you need to fix the setting, you need to first erase the Watch, then pair it to your iPhone, fix the setting, then disconnect it from your iPhone.
Not sure about find Watch thing but shouldn’t be a big deal.
The best way is to buy a cheap iPhone supporting her watch. This could save you a lot of hassle and extra effort. Apple Watch is still not an independent device after all.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
This isn’t going to work I don’t think, the Apple Watch requires an iPhone to be of any real use. Good luck though!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This isn’t going to work I don’t think, the Apple Watch requires an iPhone to be of any real use. Good luck though!
It can do something on its own but very limited. LTE version would be much better in this regard.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Your friend needs an iPhone. Not worth the hassle. The #1 reason I just got my first iPhone was for an Apple watch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Your situation sounds confusing. Sell your friend your iPhone SE or suggest she purchase an iPhone to eliminate potential problems.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Your situation sounds confusing. Sell your friend your iPhone SE or suggest she purchase an iPhone to eliminate potential problems.
That is a complex mess of a thread to read and looks like a case of a giant screw up in the making. Should have stopped at the first paragraph since that IS the answer.

In a nutshell:

• Apple Watch requires (detected) iPhone (no own/use iPhone, no use Apple Watch)
  • Android users should chose Fitbit or Android Wear

Reactions: rsxmachine
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.