Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I like the new sidecar feature for Macbooks and iPads. If I typically use a second monitor at home connected via display port can I then use a iPad as a third monitor? Or does sidecar only work with just the laptop and the iPad and no additional monitors?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I like the new sidecar feature for Macbooks and iPads. If I typically use a second monitor at home connected via display port can I then use a iPad as a third monitor? Or does sidecar only work with just the laptop and the iPad and no additional monitors?

It will work as a third. 90% sure anyway; See no reason why it wouldn't and the settings allows you to place it relative to other screens so it'd make sense.

But just know that not all Macs are supported with Sidecar. Hardware h.265 encoding is required on the Mac.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
and a Mac running Catalina (beta) and iOS 13 (beta).

If you don’t want to run betas on both devices, Catalina (and sidecar support) and iOS 13 are coming out in the fall.

Apple (Official Method, coming out in the Fall, free, works well):
Look for “SideCar.”

Third Party Method (out now, costs money, not as good):
Download “DuetDisplay” on both Mac and iPad.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
It will work as a third. 90% sure anyway; See no reason why it wouldn't and the settings allows you to place it relative to other screens so it'd make sense.

But just know that not all Macs are supported with Sidecar. Hardware h.265 encoding is required on the Mac.
So assuming you can only use the iPad as a second screen with another Mac not a pc?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
So assuming you can only use the iPad as a second screen with another Mac not a pc?

Yes. There is no video input to the iPad wired in the physical hardware. Only the iPad's own GPU has wiring to the display. Sidecar works by encoding an h.265 video stream, sending the video feed to the iPad and sending back input from the iPad using Apple's own communication protocol. On Macs with a T2 chip, the T2 chip does all the h.265 encoding.

Reactions: kp98077

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2017
and a Mac running Catalina (beta) and iOS 13 (beta).

If you don’t want to run betas on both devices, Catalina (and sidecar support) and iOS 13 are coming out in the fall.

Apple (Official Method, coming out in the Fall, free, works well):
Look for “SideCar.”

Third Party Method (out now, costs money, not as good):
Download “DuetDisplay” on both Mac and iPad.
Guys, two questions:

1) Can I use 2 sidecar iPads on one MacBook?
2) And if yes, will using 2 sidecar iPads overheat 15" or 16" MBP? I think it might because it's technically 2 high resolution monitors... in addition to the main MBP screen, no?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Guys, two questions:

1) Can I use 2 sidecar iPads on one MacBook?
2) And if yes, will using 2 sidecar iPads overheat 15" or 16" MBP? I think it might because it's technically 2 high resolution monitors... in addition to the main MBP screen, no?

Thanks!

Not possible.
[automerge]1580273673[/automerge]
By the way, update - here’s me using the iPad as a third screen with an iMac

Sidecar: Using an iPad with an iMac on macOS Catalina

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2017
Not possible.
[automerge]1580273673[/automerge]
By the way, update - here’s me using the iPad as a third screen with an iMac

Sidecar: Using an iPad with an iMac on macOS Catalina
It was nice watching you in this video. I see that you are using Caldigit. Can I connect an iPad through Caldigit?

Спасибо!

Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Absolutely. The USB C port on the front is a bit unreliable on the CalDigit because I use all of the ports and they draw power as well. Connected over a back USB C port or regular USB works fine

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2017
Absolutely. The USB C port on the front is a bit unreliable on the CalDigit because I use all of the ports and they draw power as well. Connected over a back USB C port or regular USB works fine
Great. Is it safe ti assume that that I can use that USB-C port to provide internet as well?
(I prefer tp work without wi-fi and bluetooth)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.