Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adl1010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
Hi all,
I've finally decided it's time to upgrade from my series 4. Ive tried on the ultra and really like the look of it and am especially enticed by its battery life. I can get an ultra 1 for about £500 used with 100% battery health. A new ultra 2 is £800. I really like the new features, specifically the offline Siri stuff, but im not sure I can justify the £300 price difference. Whichever one I get Im likely to use until it dies, similar to what Ive done with my series 4. Any recommendations :)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Offline Siri doesn’t worth £300 imo. Besides that, nothing meaningful has changed between ultra 1 and ultra 2.
Just go with that used one, be careful if it can be reset fully without Apple ID prompt.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
I purchased the AWU2 from the 1st gen and very much regret it. To me, it is the same exact watch. No noticable difference. If I were you, I would purchase a used model for $450-500 and enjoy it.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I purchased the AWU2 from the 1st gen and very much regret it. To me, it is the same exact watch. No noticable difference. If I were you, I would purchase a used model for $450-500 and enjoy it.

Definitely money that should be spent in an informed manner. The differences between the U1 and U2 are well documented. They’re obviously not the exact same watch, but if you don’t need any of the newer features then upgrading is a mistake.

I’m tempted by an Open Box U1 if I can find one at the right price. I do like the upgrades in the U2 though. Especially on device Siri.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
Definitely money that should be spent in an informed manner. The differences between the U1 and U2 are well documented. They’re obviously not the exact same watch, but if you don’t need any of the newer features then upgrading is a mistake.

I’m tempted by an Open Box U1 if I can find one at the right price. I do like the upgrades in the U2 though. Especially on device Siri.
I haven’t done extensive testing yet but I really haven’t noticed the improvements to Siri. I am very much looking forward to the double tap feature. As a new dad, I feel like I never ever have a second hand to use for selection or scrolling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.