Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodrow72

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Utah
Has anyone here ever purchased used gear from adorama.com? I just ordered a film Nikon N90-s for a steal. I am just wondering what their reputation is and how their used gear is? Thanks for the advice!

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Adorama is one of the Big Three (or four or five) online photography retailers, which also includes B&H and KEH, and could include several others (Calumet, for example).

They're a great company and safe to buy from. I got my N80 in basically new condition for $60 and it has worked flawlessly from the day I got it. My 85/1.8 also came from Adorama and has been outstanding, not to mention rock solid. Actually, my N80+85/1.8 took a several foot drop onto a bus floor last week and were both fine.

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
I shop at Adorama frequently and can assure you that if you're dissatisfied with your purchase they will work with you to make you happy.

I purchased my 85mm 1.4 and it was one the best deals I have had since getting the Nikon bug

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
I wrote in another post, and I'll reiterate here, I've purchased several used items from Adorama and been very satisfied, with the price, the service, and the policies.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Adorama, B&H, and amazon are your safe bets for online

I'm seriously considering another used 40D from Adorama, can't beat the price or warranty!

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I'd include KEH in that as well, based on their reputation. They have a more consistent selection, though their prices are often a bit higher on EX+ and above condition stuff.

JBmac

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
Has anyone here ever purchased used gear from adorama.com? I just ordered a film Nikon N90-s for a steal. I am just wondering what their reputation is and how their used gear is? Thanks for the advice!

I bought a demo model Nikon D300 for a great price about a month and a half ago from Adorama, about 2000 shots on the counter, no problems, real nice condition, I'm pleased!

flakes8

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
New England
I have bought many things over the years from Adorama and have been very happy. My most recent purchase was a Refurbished Nikon D300 and as par for the course I am happy with that as well. Good Luck

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Used Nikon Body

I'm looking for a used Nikon D50 or D60 body for IR conversion. Any suggestions and what would be a fair price and where to buy?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
^^^ just buy from Adorama - their prices are more than fair...

Great feedback, which I've passed along to my colleagues in the used deparment as well as the warehouse manager (who is responsible for shipping).

Thanks!

Helen

I have a question and post it here in case others have the same.

With my financial situation, I'd have to trade equipment in as part of payment. I have my eye on a lens you have in stock.

In order to trade a lens, can I have the one I want set aside until my trade is sent in and evaluated?

Or do I have to just send my trade in, and hope the lens I want doesn't get sold before the store credit goes through?

Thanks...

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
i've purchased multiple things through Adorama over the years and have never had problems. This past summer I purchased a refurb'd Canon G10 and there were a few issues (dead pixel on LCD, line on sensor). They didn't have any problems accepting the return from me, however, they didn't contact me at all over a span of four weeks to give me any sort of update after they had received the camera. When I contacted them, they stated they didn't have anymore in stock and that I could pay the difference for a new one (i know they're not scammers, but that's what it sounded like). they also didn't have my returned camera so they couldn't send it back to me. Had they contacted me at some point (I don't think that's asking too much), things may have been different. However, after getting the runaround for a week I finally asked for a refund which they provided. the few people that I spoke to on the phone were extremely rude and didn't even appear to want my business. Not really sure if I'll ever go through them again based on this past experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.