Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macfin2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2022
Hey,

Been lurking around in different forums etc but now I'm at a dead end. Bought a used MacBook Pro from an auction website.
The computer only boots in internet recovery mode and after a couple minutes of loading, I get the Activation lock screen. Have tried erasing the Mac from the activation screen options, doesn't help. Have tried booting in Recovery mode (cmd+R), doesn't work. Tried resetting the NVRAM and other solutions found online.

Yesterday been to an official apple retailer and they said they are unable to do anything although I have purchase receipts from the auction website.

Is there anything I could try to not be left with a bricked and unusable MacBook?

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Hey,

Been lurking around in different forums etc but now I'm at a dead end. Bought a used MacBook Pro from an auction website.
The computer only boots in internet recovery mode and after a couple minutes of loading, I get the Activation lock screen. Have tried erasing the Mac from the activation screen options, doesn't help. Have tried booting in Recovery mode (cmd+R), doesn't work. Tried resetting the NVRAM and other solutions found online.

Yesterday been to an official apple retailer and they said they are unable to do anything although I have purchase receipts from the auction website.

Is there anything I could try to not be left with a bricked and unusable MacBook?
Contact the seller. Others will correct me if I'm wrong but either it's stolen or the seller didn't wipe it properly. In any case whoever sold it should have checked to make sure it boots without problems before packing it for shipment. I don't know how long you have waited since receiving the Mac but the clock it ticking and the chance of not getting burned may be rapidly dwindling. Again corrections are welcome!

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I wouldn't try to "fix" this.
Go right to the auction site and claim whatever right you may have to return it.

Return it -- AS SOON AS YOU CAN -- and get something else.
Preferably NOT FROM AN AUCTION SITE.
You see where buying from one has gotten you to.

Chances are this was stolen merchandise and the original owner (not the person who sold it to you) "put the lock on it"...

I'd suggest Apple's refurbished online site.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Apple couldn't give a flying !@#$ about your receipt from an auction site. The only proof of purchase that matters, is from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.