Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Lost in Thought
What do the people here think I could get for a used 7D in 2 years (should I decide change cameras at that time)?

Considering buying one now.

Thanks,

Chris

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Based on 50D prices, and the fact that they are going used now for ~$100 under retail, I would suspect you are looking at ~600 less than retail in 2 years (roughly $1100 if Canon doesn't drop the retail price).

This is just a guess and can easily drop another 100-200 if Canon brings out a new body.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I doubt the price will drop much from the current selling price. it will only drop significantly if a 7D MkII comes out. at that point, I would guess it falls to around $1100.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
For comparison:

Used 40D goes for about $600
Used 50D goes for about $800
Used 5D goes for about $1200
Used 5D mkii goes for about $2300

Cameras currently made by Canon can usually only be found about $100 off the lowest retail price. After that they start to drop pretty quickly. What does the 7D retail for now? About $1700? I would guess about $1100 in 2 years

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I would suggest that a more appropriate question would be for you to ask, "how much value am I going to get out of using this camera for the next 2 years"? :)

Chris7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Lost in Thought
Is this vendor for real?

Thanks to all who posted. The 7D is $1700, BTW.

Except here, but I'm not sure I trust these guys, as I don't think Canon allows selling below retail. Not sure how that works. Maybe they're OK for selling but not their extra warranty? Wonder how long vendors who sell Canon below retail stay in business.

Do the people here speculate the 7D Mk. II will have another stop of low light performance, BTW? Of course there's no way to know, but would this follow the pattern of low light sensor performance trickling down the line?

Thanks.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
What do the people here think I could get for a used 7D in 2 years (should I decide change cameras at that time)?

Considering buying one now.

Thanks,

Chris

Less than half of what you paid for it.....

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Do the people here speculate the 7D Mk. II will have another stop of low light performance, BTW? Of course there's no way to know, but would this follow the pattern of low light sensor performance trickling down the line?

Thanks.

I doubt it. Canon has been going for MP, Nikon has been trying harder for high ISO. For instance, a 20D and a 50D have very similar performance at ISO 800 and 1600 (but obviously the 50D has a lot more pixels). That is 3 generations with essentially no change in low light performance.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009

You're speculating on a Mk2 camera for a body that is only a few months old. It's probably going to be 2 years at least before a Mk2 comes out. That far ahead, any kind of speculation on what the Mk2 will or will not improve is useless to the point of counterproductivity.

Jaro65's answer is the best. Rather than fooling around with guessing used value prices 2 years down the road, look at the 7D for the value it can deliver to you now, and in the time you want to use it. If you're trying to justify buying the 7D because you think you can get a good price for it used 2 years from now, it really doesn't seem like a good idea.

Ruahrc

Chris7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Lost in Thought
I doubt it. Canon has been going for MP, Nikon has been trying harder for high ISO. For instance, a 20D and a 50D have very similar performance at ISO 800 and 1600 (but obviously the 50D has a lot more pixels). That is 3 generations with essentially no change in low light performance.
...Jaro65's answer is the best...
Makes sense. Thanks.
-Chris

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008

oversimplifying like that benefits no one. Canon has made strides in both resolution and high ISO.

the 50D got a bad rap from 1) bad initial ACR conversions and 2) people who don't understand that the same noise at 100% with more MP means less noise at the final viewing size. the 40D already had small improvement over the 20/30D in terms of noise. the 7D has nearly double the MP with less noise at 100%.

Nikon being better at high ISO is more myth than reality. their advantage lies primarily in camera ergonomics and featureset.

racketeer71

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks to all who posted. The 7D is $1700, BTW.

Except here, but I'm not sure I trust these guys, as I don't think Canon allows selling below retail. Not sure how that works. Maybe they're OK for selling but not their extra warranty? Wonder how long vendors who sell Canon below retail stay in business.

Their address, according to their website:

CameraKings, LLC.
337 E. 89th Street
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11236

At bit reading for you:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/camera_scams
http://boingboing.net/2005/12/14/brooklyn-camerastore.html
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/07/wawa.html
http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.