Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macabuntu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
So... I used to just pointed a mini fan towards my macbook to cool it down during game sessions but it seems to not be really too effective and dust builds up super quickly.

After walking down the street, I saw some box fans on sale and I got a amazing idea. I would just buy a box fan and use it as a macbook cooling pad! A example of a box fan: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-20-Box-Fan-White/42388499 Think about it, how ****ing amazing is this idea. Most cooling pads are a pile of stinking **** and me blowing out a candle has more air force. This would cool the living **** out of my macbook. I was thinking I would build a stand out of some softwood to angle the macbook and just place a box fan underneath it. (Like im watching a twitch stream and the cpu is like 94 degrees! holy ****!)

Concept ****** Photoshop: http://imgur.com/a/X2geh (sizes are not to scale)

The only thing I want to ask is would this powerful ass engine fan cause like some static discharge that could damage my laptop?

I heard that the big electric motor throwing off electromagnetic fields since it will be very close

Is it safe to put a fan so close to a macbook?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Um. I mean, it's possible and it isn't going to hurt anything, but why by just get a desktop for this type of thing?

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
You shouldn't need anything to cool your Macbook even during sustained high performance workloads, so it sounds like you've got a different problem altogether. What year is your notebook? It may be worth it to grab a toolkit and take the bottom cover off in order to clean out the heatsinks and blow dust out of the fans.

The computer will get hot, but unless it's warning you or shutting down there is absolutely no need to obsess over cooling it with external sources.

Invict

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2015
Um. I mean, it's possible and it isn't going to hurt anything, but why by just get a desktop for this type of thing?
I want it to be cooled very well, I want this laptop to last a long time
[doublepost=1477277203][/doublepost]
You shouldn't need anything to cool your Macbook even during sustained high performance workloads, so it sounds like you've got a different problem altogether. What year is your notebook? It may be worth it to grab a toolkit and take the bottom cover off in order to clean out the heatsinks and blow dust out of the fans.

The computer will get hot, but unless it's warning you or shutting down there is absolutely no need to obsess over cooling it with external sources.

Yeah, pretty sure there is a lot of dust inside. Its a 2015 early retina 13"
Im in Korea, any cheap tool kits you recommend?

Also, Do I just blow compressed air here and there. Do I need to tape the fans?

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I want it to be cooled very well, I want this laptop to last a long time
[doublepost=1477277203][/doublepost]

Yeah, pretty sure there is a lot of dust inside. Its a 2015 early retina 13"
Im in Korea, any cheap tool kits you recommend?

Also, Do I just blow compressed air here and there. Do I need to tape the fans?

They're designed to run even at high load well within the temp specs of all components. Any further cooling isn't necessary and won't realistically do anything to prolong the life of the computer - you can seriously feel free to not worry about this at all. My late 2013 has over 10,000 hours of uptime (going by the SSD's logs) and I run it extremely hard all the time editing hundreds of video jobs per year mostly using 4K sources. It's been on 4 music tours, seen every state in the US and most of Europe more than once and it has never skipped a beat even on overnight renders of hugely complex sequences an animation.

I have a small tool kit from ifixit that works really well. I'd also use their guide https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Early+2015+Fan+Replacement/45131 to clear dust from your fans. I do this once every 6-8 months and pull a sizable amount of dust/lint from the fans and heatsink area on the inside where the fan blows air through - I don't think blowing air from the outside in will fully get it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.