Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitefeather

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hi everyone - I'll tell you what I have figured out and then where I'm stuck and hope for some help with that final point.

My touch screen on my iPhone SE stopped working when dropped from not that great a height (I was bending over to drink from a water fountain). I've heard this is a known flaw with SEs.

After MUCH scouring the internet, I discovered that I can get the camera to phone USB to lightning adapter, which I bought for $35 at the Apple store.

I plugged this in to my lightning port of my phone, then plugged in an old Dell keyboard via USB to the USB end of my adapter. Mac keyboards don't work, because they draw too much power. The Dell keyboard works.

I can type in my password this way, and unlock my phone. Great first step.

I can also access the phone's search function by holding down the window key (key with the window icon) and pressing the space bar. Excellent next step.

Then, I can type in Settings and use the arrow keys to go down and select the Settings app. We're doing fantastic so far (mind you, this all took me hours to figure out).

In the Settings app, I can hold down the Tab key and hit the Enter key, and then I can search within Settings for whatever I want. Great!

As long as there is a search function happening, the arrow keys work to move up and down and select things.

Here's my BIG PROBLEM.

I can't figure out how to toggle options with a keyboard. Nothing seems to work. I've searched high and low through keyboard shortcuts, etc, even for the Dell keyboard and cannot find any way to toggle options.

I need to be able to do this to turn on Siri or voice over control so that I can then back up my damn phone. I need to back up to save all my photos and voice memos. NO, I am not connected to iCloud, but if I could figure out how to do that with the keyboard, I would gladly do so.

Any ideas out there for how to toggle on/off with stuff like using Hey Siri, etc?

Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.