Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Hello!

Learning about Mac's possibilities, I found out about AirPlay function.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

1) AirPlay allows to project your desktop to Apple TV?

2) AirPlay can't be used to hack into Mac and browse files or affect system?
No one can use AirPlay to get in from outside?

But can someone break in to see my desktop?

3) You need Apple TV to display desktop on TV screen?

4) How to make sure AirPlay is disabled while not using it? I rather not accidentally show my desktop on someone's screen?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Yes to 1 and 3. As far as I know it is not hackable, but who knows?

You can add an item to your menubar to turn Airplay on and off. It is usually pretty obvious when it is on, since your screen resolution will change to the screen resolution of your tv.

Reactions: Ilbabgui

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Yes to 1 and 3. As far as I know it is not hackable, but who knows?

You can add an item to your menubar to turn Airplay on and off. It is usually pretty obvious when it is on, since your screen resolution will change to the screen resolution of your tv.

Thank you for reply!
I can't yet test the resolution part as I lack Apple TV itself. :) But menubar being the upper right on desktop? And when that says it's off, it is off and no outside connection can be established?

EDIT: I found this article that confused me:
http://streaming-blog.com/airplay-mirroring-explained/
If there’s an Apple TV in your network, the AirPlay menu appears in the menu bar (upper right corner of your display, see left screenshot). Just click your Apple TV and the AirPlay Mirroring will start.
You can find the corresponding options also in “System Preferences > Display”.

For all I know, there are no Apple TVs around here. So if the menu appears, but there is no Apple TV itself listed, does it mean it is still around or is the wording in that article just confusing?

Last edited:

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Yes. That is my understanding.

I'm using different machines and went to check my Mac, only to find the icon itself missing. Maybe some fella next doors had Apple TV for a bit. :)

Though, if my neighbour has Apple TV, is there a chance for his screen to suddenly show my desktop? Or if I just keep it "off", there is no danger for something like that to happen?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
You can only connect to an AppleTV that is on your network. I.e. you wouldn't be able to connect to your neighbour's AppleTV unless you were connected to his wireless network rather than yours.

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
You can only connect to an AppleTV that is on your network. I.e. you wouldn't be able to connect to your neighbour's AppleTV unless you were connected to his wireless network rather than yours.

Ah, I see, that makes things easier. And it only works with wireless network? It wouldn't work at all if I keep my Wi-Fi shut down? I use cable.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
Ah, I see, that makes things easier. And it only works with wireless network? It wouldn't work at all if I keep my Wi-Fi shut down? I use cable.
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I recall seeing the AirPlay when my Wi-Fi was turned off on my work Mac Mini.

But to address your previous question, about your screen being shown on your neighbors TV, this would only happen if you explicitly selected that as an output (and were connected to the same network).

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I recall seeing the AirPlay when my Wi-Fi was turned off on my work Mac Mini.

But to address your previous question, about your screen being shown on your neighbors TV, this would only happen if you explicitly selected that as an output (and were connected to the same network).

Thank you!
So AirPlay can also move through cable, huh... good to know if I plan to use it in future. I got wi-fi shut down currently, only using cable. I am also using only one computer in this apartment and there are no others. Kind of safe to assume dude behind the wall next door can't really see what I'm doing on my desktop? :D

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
Thank you!
So AirPlay can also move through cable, huh... good to know if I plan to use it in future. I got wi-fi shut down currently, only using cable. I am also using only one computer in this apartment and there are no others. Kind of safe to assume dude behind the wall next door can't really see what I'm doing on my desktop? :D
I would really like someone with both a Mac and an Apple TV to confirm or deny this. It's been the better part of a year since we had the Apple TV set up at the old office, so I can't find it out on my own. I also can't seem to find any hard confirmation (or even a denial made within the last two years, most are 2011-2012) that this would work.

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
I would really like someone with both a Mac and an Apple TV to confirm or deny this. It's been the better part of a year since we had the Apple TV set up at the old office, so I can't find it out on my own. I also can't seem to find any hard confirmation (or even a denial made within the last two years, most are 2011-2012) that this would work.

Okay, thank you for Your help in this matter!

Reactions: s0nicpr0s
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.