Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I intend to use Aperture to edit all of my pics, it has many advantages over iPhoto. But is it better to keep the pics stored in iPhoto and reference them back to Aperture, or stored in the Aperture library and then let iPhoto "see" them from there? I want to be able to use Front Row slideshows and have videos in my albums, hence the desire to keep some functionality of iPhoto. However I need to save space on the Hard-drive, if either option would make a difference there? Also I want the best organisational structure as well.

What's the concensus? Anybody else do anything similar?

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Use Aperture and reference iPhoto. I'm pretty sure all the features of iPhoto in FrontRow work in Aperture. At least last time I checked which was 1.5.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks, but why do you say that?

He said it because you asked. ;)

Unfortunately, Aperture is one of the few applications that can't be used with Front Row. This seems to be widely published, another one of those "wish list" items that seems to get little attention. Your best bet would be to use Aperture and export your projects, once complete) to iPhoto. Since Aperture is only going to export the previews that you created in Aperture the file sizes should remain rather small. I would not import to iPhoto and edit via Aperture if that was what you're thinking. Aperture does a great job of protecting your photos. I wouldn't put all my trust in iPhoto though.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
He said it because you asked. ;)

Unfortunately, Aperture is one of the few applications that can't be used with Front Row. This seems to be widely published, another one of those "wish list" items that seems to get little attention. Your best bet would be to use Aperture and export your projects, once complete) to iPhoto. Since Aperture is only going to export the previews that you created in Aperture the file sizes should remain rather small. I would not import to iPhoto and edit via Aperture if that was what you're thinking. Aperture does a great job of protecting your photos. I wouldn't put all my trust in iPhoto though.

No I meant for what reason did he recommend me Aperture over iPhoto for storage... ;) Thanks for your input though. So if I export a preview to iPhoto from Aperture will Front Row still be able to see them as it does when they are actually stored in the iPhoto library?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No I meant for what reason did he recommend me Aperture over iPhoto for storage... ;) Thanks for your input though. So if I export a preview to iPhoto from Aperture will Front Row still be able to see them as it does when they are actually stored in the iPhoto library?

Oh I see. Same reason why I do. Aperture, in my opinion, is safer in terms of storing photos in its vault. That said, since you already intended to use it I would continue to and export the preview to iPhoto. And yes, iPhoto will read the previews in front row as it does any other photos in iPhoto.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Oh I see. Same reason why I do. Aperture, in my opinion, is safer in terms of storing photos in its vault. That said, since you already intended to use it I would continue to and export the preview to iPhoto. And yes, iPhoto will read the previews in front row as it does any other photos in iPhoto.

Great, thank you very much for your reply. I'll get to importing into Aperture then! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.