Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khosna

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
I have a MBA and would to use Aperture via an external HDD. Anyone currently using an external HDD as their primary storage device for photos with or without an MBA? Also, does Aperture work and play well with other photo management software like Picasa. What I mean is will Aperture rearrange/rename/modify the original photos? I don't want to switch from what I use now until I am sure -- thus the need for Aperture to leave my originals as is. I can make a copy of all of some of the photos if need be until I am sure I want to switch to Aperture. Thanks for your input.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
I can't imagine Aperture would run too well on a MBA...It would be even slower if it was editing photos off an external.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have a MBA and would to use Aperture via an external HDD. Anyone currently using an external HDD as their primary storage device for photos with or without an MBA? Also, does Aperture work and play well with other photo management software like Picasa. What I mean is will Aperture rearrange/rename/modify the original photos? I don't want to switch from what I use now until I am sure -- thus the need for Aperture to leave my originals as is. I can make a copy of all of some of the photos if need be until I am sure I want to switch to Aperture. Thanks for your input.

I've thinking of converting over to Aperture too. I made a new user login account. Call it "test". Then when yo log in a the user "test" you have an independent setup and whatever preferences you set up will apply just to that user.

I've found that you don't want to just jump on Aperture before you are up to speed on it. Go through the video tutorials on the Apple.com web site and read the user manual (Yea I know 700+ pages...) DO all this as user "test"

And Yes, aperture can keep it's library any place you want to put it.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Given the following:
The MBA is slow.
Aperture is very demanding.
iPhoto is less demanding
Aperture 2 is completely integrated with iPhoto
iPhoto is already quite capable.

I say that, unless you have very specific needs, your best option would be to use iPhoto on the MBA and, import later the iPhoto library to Aperture on a more capable Mac.

khosna

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Thanks for the input. There are a few specific features I like on Aperture. I downloaded the trial version and so far it seems fairly responsive. I have been using a copy of photos from my recent trip to Ireland -- about 1,000 pics -- and once loaded the performance is pretty good. I haven't done anything to intense yet though.

I guess i m looking for the cataloging and adjustment abilities in Aperture -- if it was just cataloging alone I could probably get away with iPhoto or continue using Picasa and then move specific pics to iPhoto for Album creation.

Overall I have 8,000 (serious amateur) plus digital photos and want to keep things organized.

Thanks again.

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
Without a graphics card with dedicated memory, Aperture will run slow.
The MacBook Air was not designed for image editing. It is currently the slowest computer in the Apple line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.