Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSchtickler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
OK,

So I am in Australia, and I want to watch some shows on Channel4 in the UK. On my mac this is easy:
  1. Turn on Nord
  2. Set UK as the country
  3. Visit the channel 4 website, all good
So now we can use Nord on tvOS, I thought I'd try, but its much more complicated that expected! What I ended up doing was below:
  1. Create a new AppleID, based in the UK (I used a gmail account)
  2. On my aTV, add this new additional user in System settings
  3. Switch to new UK user
  4. Go to the App Store, download the Channel4 app
  5. On my aTV, Set my system setting region to UK.
  6. Restart
  7. Turn on Nord, set to UK
  8. Open Channel4 app, try to play an episode BUT...
But here's where is breaks - it just says "service not available from your location" - so I guess I've done something wrong somewhere, but I have no idea what? For all I can tell, the aTV should be in the UK. I thought maybe they block the VPN, but it works fine on my laptop

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

Mr.Ben

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2022
OK,

So I am in Australia, and I want to watch some shows on Channel4 in the UK. On my mac this is easy:
  1. Turn on Nord
  2. Set UK as the country
  3. Visit the channel 4 website, all good
So now we can use Nord on tvOS, I thought I'd try, but its much more complicated that expected! What I ended up doing was below:
  1. Create a new AppleID, based in the UK (I used a gmail account)
  2. On my aTV, add this new additional user in System settings
  3. Switch to new UK user
  4. Go to the App Store, download the Channel4 app
  5. On my aTV, Set my system setting region to UK.
  6. Restart
  7. Turn on Nord, set to UK
  8. Open Channel4 app, try to play an episode BUT...
But here's where is breaks - it just says "service not available from your location" - so I guess I've done something wrong somewhere, but I have no idea what? For all I can tell, the aTV should be in the UK. I thought maybe they block the VPN, but it works fine on my laptop

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks
It may not make any difference, but have you tried testing the app on your regular user account rather than the new one you've set for the UK? I can't see anywhere on NordVPN's guides that says you need to create a separate AppleTV user account for the chosen location - that would get a bit messy if you wanted to watch content from multiple countries.

I use NordVPN but not on ATV so unfortunately can't do an actual check for you. In general I've found Nord to work ok though sometimes it does have annoying glitches. 👍

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
as a location test, speed test app? connects to a local server

I have Nord, so just installed it on the aTV, set it to UK, and speed test connected to a London sever. Tried Korea and Mexico, which also worked. I did have to force quit speedtest when I changed countries, seems it only pulls severs when it first starts.

It's also entirely possible that channel4 has blocked the Nord exit IPs, or is aware of you going through a VPN.
2 of my apps, draft kings (sports betting) and curb (taxi payment), will not work on my phone when connected to Nord, but if I use a personal VPN to my house (either openVPN or tailscale) both work fine.

mdnoble

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2024
I use your workflow it for services in Canada whilst based in the UK and it works 95% of the time, have you tried different uk vpn servers in nord vpn?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.