Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
I'm really struggling with creating a decent workflow between both programs and was wondering if anyone uses both in harmony? I like LR because on the nondestructive editing & presets mostly. I like iPhoto because of the clean organization and ability to easily sync to my iDevices. I can't afford/don't want to save 2 copies of every photo (1 in LR 1 in iPhoto). Does anyone use both programs in an efficient manner or should I just ditch LR and hop onto the Aperture 3 bandwagon for better integration?

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I use both.

I edit RAW files in Lightroom and then create JPEGS which I put into iPhoto. That way those JPEGS can be on my iPhone, sent to my MobileMe Gallery, Facebook and Flickr.

I do end up with two of each JPEG though (one in the iPhoto library and one someplace in the Pictures folder).

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
When I had a Mac, iPhoto was for my P&S shots.

LR for was for my DSLR work.

different programs for 2 different types of photos.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
I tried using both for a while, but ultimately decided that it wasn't important enough for me to use iPhoto at all. I don't sync to any iExternal peripheral devices and LR has plugins to export to Smugmug.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
In iPhoto preferences, set Lightroom as your external editor. Then when you select a photo to edit from iPhoto, Lightroom will open, you can edit, and when you save it, it will be saved right back in the iPhoto library where it belongs.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
In iPhoto preferences, set Lightroom as your external editor. Then when you select a photo to edit from iPhoto, Lightroom will open, you can edit, and when you save it, it will be saved right back in the iPhoto library where it belongs.

How does that work with RAW editing and non-destructive editing since I never actually "save" anything in LR, just export it to JPG when I need to upload to Flickr etc.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Can you not use Lightroom primarily, and then when you want certain pictures, export them to the screen size of your device, that way you have a copy in iPhoto that will go onto your devices and not take up much hard drive space?

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
I use both.

I edit RAW files in Lightroom and then create JPEGS which I put into iPhoto. That way those JPEGS can be on my iPhone, sent to my MobileMe Gallery, Facebook and Flickr.

I do end up with two of each JPEG though (one in the iPhoto library and one someplace in the Pictures folder).

I do exactly the same only using Capture One instead of Lightroom

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
I found an excellent workaround and is exactly how I'd want to handle my photos but as the poster mentioned, it has somehow been disabled. Can anyone think of a solution?

For nearly two years, I used Lightroom as my external editor for iPhoto using the following process:

1. Select 'Edit in External Editor'
2. Select Add to Library (not Copy or Move) when the Lightroom import dialogue comes up so that LR is simply pointing to the file my iPhoto library
3. Make all my edits in Lightroom (my original is left untouched at this point, and LR stores data about how to process the original)
4. Export the photo from Lightroom into the same folder as the original using the same filename

At this point, I would get a prompt saying:

"The following files already exist:
path/to/file
Do you wish to overwrite the existing files, skip the existing files, or rename the exported files to avoid collision?"

I could simply choose 'Overwrite' and my file in iPhoto would be updated with the changes from LR.

This worked until right after Christmas. Then, in January, the process mysteriously stopped working for any new photos. Now, if I use the same process, I get the following warning:

"You can not choose to overwrite the existing files since some of them are the source files"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.