Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

labelman68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2021
Hi all- appreciate your opinion on this. I'm using a 2020 M1 Macbook Pro (13"). Love it. I move all over the house. I do, however zoom often and work from my desk. For that setup I fire up my older 21.5" Imac I5 (Late 2012). Unfortunately you cannot use this particular (newer) Macbook with that Imac so I cannot screen mirror. Prefer a 27" or 32" screen size. Need to zoom often. Like having my files, desktop setup, etc. from my Macbook so I prefer not to keep everything in the cloud and jump back and forth on computers.

Also want to get a long swingarm, swing the monitor (or computer) out of the way and against the wall when not in use.

I am not a pro user- no artwork/graphic design, etc... No gaming. But I do like quality.

My options (your opinion please):
A- Buy a newer IMac and connect the two- using the Macbook as a target drive or screen mirror (do newer Imacs and newer Macbooks work this way or is there a restriction?
B- Buy an external monitor
1- If so WHAT are your recommendations- I"m looking for:
a. Good resolution
b. Camera (I can use an add-on webcam but prefer to avoid excess wires/cables.
C- Buy a high quality, smaller TV

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
A - target mode/mirroring is no longer offered and doesn't appear to ever be coming back. They have shifted more towards using things like Universal Control (which isn't out yet). But yeah, you could use your MB as a target drive.
B - Choices are limited (and pricey) if you want an integrated camera. You basically have the old LG UltraFine line. If camera is not required (you are ok adding an external), then there are several good choices.
C - Bad option if you want quality. Those TVs don't come close to matching the quality of a good monitor.

labelman68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2021
Thanks Azen. So it looks like I should be looking for a good monitor w/out camera and simply add a nice clip on camera. So, what monitors do you like in the 32"+ range for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.