Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
I got my D80 a couple weeks ago and love it. I thought I had it all figured out, and then I find out about being able to use a SB-600 speedlight with the D80 wirelessly!

I can't believe I didn't know this. I have a SB-400 from when I had my D40x. I really like the SB-400, great size and it was a lot nicer than the built in on the D40x.

I went to a local store to see about a 50mm 1.8 lens, and played with the SB-600 some (my next purchase now). When the salesperson said "I just love using mine wirelessly with my D80, its so convenient", I asked how much the accessory is to allow you to do that (isn't there always an optional accessory for stuff like this?). When she looked at my all puzzled, I knew I said something stupid. After she explained, and demonstrated, I was sold. It really was convenient, and I couldn't believe I didn't know about it.

I ended up with the 50mm 1.8 only, thats all I budgeted, but I am definitely getting one soon.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The main limitation of using the built-in flash for this is you can't use it as a flash at the same time - it'll look like it's firing, but it won't light stuff up (so the only supplemental light is what is produced by your remote flash/flashes).

If you mount an SB-800 on your camera, that flash can control the remote flashes AND flash in its own right.

My older D70 will do this as well. It's one of those cool things that I've never spent enough time to really take advantage of - I've played around, but that's about it.

alecmcmahon

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Woodbridge, NJ
The main limitation of using the built-in flash for this is you can't use it as a flash at the same time - it'll look like it's firing, but it won't light stuff up (so the only supplemental light is what is produced by your remote flash/flashes).

not true, you can set your build in flash to fire with TTL, or set it on a manual(1/8,1/4.1/2,etcetc)

It's in the CLS group settings.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
not true, you can set your build in flash to fire with TTL, or set it on a manual(1/8,1/4.1/2,etcetc)

It's in the CLS group settings.

Have you actually done this? (serious question) Because my reading of the manual led me to believe that was the setting for the external (wireless) flash units; and when I've tried it that's what has happened. The built-in flash goes off, but does not illuminate anything.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Have you actually done this? (serious question) Because my reading of the manual led me to believe that was the setting for the external (wireless) flash units; and when I've tried it that's what has happened. The built-in flash goes off, but does not illuminate anything.

I'm not that poster but I have as well. The onboard flash fires at whatever power you set when you are using CLS. You set the settings (ttl, etc) for the remote flash as well as the commander, which is the pop up in this case. I just tried right now and the pop-up illuminated at full power (eg - had an affect on the picture)

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
This thread is worthless without pictures … ;)

Here's one with the D200 onboard flash + SB-600:
Setup:
2362480757_f6808a3521.jpg

Result:
2619598628_04ff0fb5f6_b.jpg

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Sorry for the lack of pictures. When I figure out the flash (and camera for that matter), and take pics that are worthy of posting, I will.

My problem right now is that I need to get some rechargeable batteries, the SB-600 and SB-400 use 6 AA between them and I haven't used AA in a long time. I had to take them out of my KB/Mouse. I forget to get them whenever I am out.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Turns out we're all correct. My D70's pop-up flash, when used in commander mode, only controls the commander mode (as per my personal experience). Neither the D80 nor the D200 has that limitation though.

Aha! That would explain it. I wonder why they would remove that ability from the D70... its projecting light, why not allow it to project the full intensity? Seems like an odd gaffe on Nikon's part. Oh well.

A good point was made by Westside though, that you can use a Nikon SB-800 (or SU-800) as both a trigger and a far superior light source in CLS.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Aha! That would explain it. I wonder why they would remove that ability from the D70... its projecting light, why not allow it to project the full intensity? Seems like an odd gaffe on Nikon's part. Oh well.

Just to pull a response out of my hat... I suspect it might've been they didn't want to completely cannibalize D100 sales. The D100 didn't have any sort of "commander mode" capability, and the D70 had an awful lot of its features already.

Or, maybe they just dropped the ball. :D

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Welcome to the world of wireless remote flash useage.

I've done it for years, of course back then it was not a built in feature.

When I first started we used flash sensor/triggers to fire the remote.

Now evolved to the point where I use IR to trigger the remote flashes in a setting. Nothing comes from the camera other than the IR signal to fire the flashes, if using a flash that may not 'see' the IR signal, I get out the flash sensors to trigger those.

I once shot an event at a school where I knew I would want a little extra light on stage ... talked to the school staff and hung two flashes with sensors from above. Down side was since they were fired by the light of a flash, anyone else who used a camera triggered them as well.

I have to say the results were stunning .... those photos are still displayed at that school in some display cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.