Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBB4

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Hello. I know there is a similar thread on this but didn't want to hijack it with my question! I'm in the process of buying an iMac Pro and was planning on using a Samsung T5 external SSD connected into one of the Thunderbolt 3 connections (USB type-C to type-C connection) as one of my backup options, using Time Machine (will have a separate drive and cloud backup to complement). So I was planning on keeping the Samsung permanently connected.

I've read in the "Two Serious Problems With New 10-core iMac Pro" thread that when the iMac Pro goes to sleep it disconnects the external drive. So if this is correct, my plan of using the Samsung for permanent connection/backup is no good. Is that correct or have I misunderstood?

Many thanks!

JBB4

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Way to go and of course it will be formatted APFS.

The day of old platter hard drives are behind us.

Thanks. Any thoughts on my original query about keeping it plugged in continuously and any issues with the iMac pro dropping the connection if it goes to sleep?

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Thanks. Any thoughts on my original query about keeping it plugged in continuously and any issues with the iMac pro dropping the connection if it goes to sleep?
I've only seen a few reports of that happening with USB3 drives not thunderbolt. I would guess that you will be fine.

That being said, using an SSD as Time Machine backup volume is a colossal waste of money in my opinion. For backups HD are a superior technology than SSDs anyways as they can restored from and SSDs cannot. Also for what TimeMachine does, constantly writing new data to drive, purging old backups etc. You are going to get a lot of writes on your SSDs and wear it down much quicker. TimeMachine volumes also generally operate at a nearly completely full capacity which HDs handle a little better than SSDs. After 2-3 years your expensive SSD may not perform any better than the cheaper HD.

TimeMachine is well optimized to just execute well in the background, so just let it do its thing. Just get a two drive enclosure, and set it up as RAID1.

If you do go with an SSD I would suggest formatting for 70-80% of the capacity of the drive.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I've only seen a few reports of that happening with USB3 drives not thunderbolt. I would guess that you will be fine.

That being said, using an SSD as Time Machine backup volume is a colossal waste of money in my opinion. For backups HD are a superior technology than SSDs anyways as they can restored from and SSDs cannot. TimeMachine is well optimized to just execute well in the background, so just let it do its thing. Just get a two drive enclosure, and set it up as RAID1.
Why would you say you can't restore from an SSD? Sure you can.

The money argument is a different argument though.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Why would you say you can't restore from an SSD? Sure you can.

The money argument is a different argument though.
Sorry I used restore, a more clear word would be "recover". For HDs if the volume gets corrupted you can run drive recovery software on it to retrieve data off it. This doesn't work as well or easily on an SSD as the firmware controller moves chunks of data to random locations on the drive for wear leveling. On SSDs the addressing is "virtual", if you loose the addressing map, it is nearly impossible to recover the data.

Doing a TimeMachine restore from a working SSD or HD is the same.

Reactions: colodane and mbosse

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA

I have a 2TB Samsung T5 as an additional data drive, and there is NO problem with it ejecting during sleep. I think the problems people are having are with HDDs that sleep internally (possibly) or maybe with USB-3.0. The Samsung T5 has been flawless, it is USB 3.1.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Hello. I know there is a similar thread on this but didn't want to hijack it with my question! I'm in the process of buying an iMac Pro and was planning on using a Samsung T5 external SSD connected into one of the Thunderbolt 3 connections (USB type-C to type-C connection) as one of my backup options, using Time Machine (will have a separate drive and cloud backup to complement). So I was planning on keeping the Samsung permanently connected.

I've read in the "Two Serious Problems With New 10-core iMac Pro" thread that when the iMac Pro goes to sleep it disconnects the external drive. So if this is correct, my plan of using the Samsung for permanent connection/backup is no good. Is that correct or have I misunderstood?

Many thanks!
I use a Samsung T3 and T5 with my 15" MBP13,3 (has 4x USB-C ports) and both have behaved without issues. They are very small dimensionally so are easily transported when necessary and draw little power which is good for a laptop running on its battery.

I will be using the T5 with my iMac Pro when it arrives.

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
I would just like to add that the "ejecting problem" also effects the SD card slot on MacBook Air.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
I have a 2TB Samsung T5 as an additional data drive, and there is NO problem with it ejecting during sleep. I think the problems people are having are with HDDs that sleep internally (possibly) or maybe with USB-3.0. The Samsung T5 has been flawless, it is USB 3.1.

Yes exactly my experience. I have both. The Samsung T5 with no problems (but I use it for data I need fast access e.g. Lightroom Catalog and preview cache.
The external HDD's connected via USB 3 disconnect at sleep. But those I use for low speed priority data (non current projects) and backup. For now I am not putting the iMac Pro to sleep, just dim the display.

Reactions: JBB4

JBB4

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Great, thanks guys, really helpful. Following on from OBirder's comments, what are your views on keeping the iMac Pro on all the time, rather than letting it go to sleep?

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
My tuppence worth - I Time Machine to my Drobo and create a bootable clone (using Get Backup Pro 3) to a partition on my SanDisk Extreme 1.92TB at the end of a heavy day's work or every few days otherwise. I just leave the SanDisk plugged in the whole time without an issue so far. Also means I can grab the SanDisk on the way out the door to use with my MBP or in case of emergencies. Yes, it's more expensive using SSD but it's so quick it helps makes everything as 'frictionless' as possible i.e. the less hassle something is, the more likely you are to do it. Nothing seems expensive anymore after getting an iMP!

Reactions: JBB4

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Great, thanks guys, really helpful. Following on from OBirder's comments, what are your views on keeping the iMac Pro on all the time, rather than letting it go to sleep?

I am new to the Mac family (came from Win 7 PC) and don't know the history of the Mac going to sleep vs. always on. However over the last years my PC was always on as well. Actually I am in computers since quite a while and at one time we said keeping it on all the time is better then frequently turning in on and off.

Bottomline I am not concerned and it fits that I have several scheduled tasks during the night which back up and mirror certain drives and folders.
[doublepost=1515819803][/doublepost]
Yes, it's more expensive using SSD but it's so quick it helps makes everything as 'frictionless' as possible i.e. the less hassle something is, the more likely you are to do it. Nothing seems expensive anymore after getting an iMP!

That might be relative. Besides external SSD I have approx. 50 TB of HDD connected. If I would convert all of them to SSD that still would seem expensive compared to an iMP :)

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
I am new to the Mac family (came from Win 7 PC) and don't know the history of the Mac going to sleep vs. always on. However over the last years my PC was always on as well. Actually I am in computers since quite a while and at one time we said keeping it on all the time is better then frequently turning in on and off.

Bottomline I am not concerned and it fits that I have several scheduled tasks during the night which back up and mirror certain drives and folders.
[doublepost=1515819803][/doublepost]

That might be relative. Besides external SSD I have approx. 50 TB of HDD connected. If I would convert all of them to SSD that still would seem expensive compared to an iMP :)
Kerching! To be clear, I wasn't really talking about archive stuff, really the stuff you're working on/use all the time/current cloneable system/must live on your main machine. I do have a bunch to stuff that only lives on HD.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I use a few SSD's for backup purposes.

But the drives I use aren't large (240gb) because the volumes I'm backing up aren't large, either.

Needless to say that the incremental backups (I use CarbonCopyCloner to create clones of my source drives) go VERY fast. A few seconds and... done!

I wanted SSD's because these are intended to be "offsite" backups that I store in the car, and felt that platter-based drives wouldn't last under the temperature extremes here of summer heat and winter cold. So far, so good.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Kerching! To be clear, I wasn't really talking about archive stuff, really the stuff you're working on/use all the time/current cloneable system/must live on your main machine. I do have a bunch to stuff that only lives on HD.

I know what you mean. I just thought for a moment that "King James" would flat out buy 50 TB in SSD :)

On the other side considering that I paid 395 for my first RAM upgrade module of 8 KB at a time I didn't even know that TB exist, who knows what 50 TB SSD will be down the road ...

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
I know what you mean. I just thought for a moment that "King James" would flat out buy 50 TB in SSD :)

On the other side considering that I paid 395 for my first RAM upgrade module of 8 KB at a time I didn't even know that TB exist, who knows what 50 TB SSD will be down the road ...

On behalf of my employer, I once paid £7,000 for a 9GB external HD!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.