Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harry.lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2020
I have been using MacBook with the power plugged in for quite some times now and I've noticed that when the battery is fully charged, the computer will switch to using power directly from the charger instead of the battery.

Now I'm thinking of switching to iPad and using it as a main computer. I wonder will I be able do that as I have been with my MacBook? Does iPad has that kind of feature? I'm planning to purchase the 8th gen iPad, which was just released months ago.

Thanks for your answers.

jamface

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
What does whether it’s drawing power from either the charger or the battery or both at any given moment have to do with using it as a ‘main computer’?

Reactions: harry.lee

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If you want to leave the iPad plugged in most of the time, make sure to let it discharge to around 30% left (or so) every few weeks, so that the battery stays in good shape.

Enjoy your iPad. Don’t get caught up in trying to micro-manage the battery all the time. It should last several years with normal use.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Not sure what the question has to do with the answer really. The power source is irrelevent unless you have some form of niche reason?

All that aside, as long as you are able to change your mindset about how computing is ‘done’ and dont get to hung up on the differences between iPadOS and macOS, then it’s perfectly possible to use an ipad as your main machine, provded the software you use (or equivelent) is available.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I have been using my iPad pro for nearly 5 years.
Charge it, use it, charge it when it’s really low......no problem.

• Wow

harry.lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2020
What does whether it’s drawing power from either the charger or the battery or both at any given moment have to do with using it as a ‘main computer’?
because i mainly leave the power plugged in when i use my macbook, even if it is fully charged so i wonder if i can do that with an ipad. like will if affect battery at all if ipad doesn't use power directly from the power adapter if it is fully charged.

harry.lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2020
Not sure what the question has to do with the answer really. The power source is irrelevent unless you have some form of niche reason?

All that aside, as long as you are able to change your mindset about how computing is ‘done’ and dont get to hung up on the differences between iPadOS and macOS, then it’s perfectly possible to use an ipad as your main machine, provded the software you use (or equivelent) is available.
because i mainly leave the power plugged in when i use my macbook, even if it is fully charged so i wonder if i can do that with an ipad. like will if affect battery at all if ipad doesn't use power directly from the power adapter if it is fully charged.

harry.lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2020
If you want to leave the iPad plugged in most of the time, make sure to let it discharge to around 30% left (or so) every few weeks, so that the battery stays in good shape.

Enjoy your iPad. Don’t get caught up in trying to micro-manage the battery all the time. It should last several years with normal use.
thanks for the tip.

harry.lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2020
The iPad does very well with managing battery when not being used. You shouldn’t have to worry about excessive battery drain while the iPad is idle, if that is your concern and thought for keeping it plugged in all the time.
thanks

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Bet any iPad bought today will work for years even just staying connected to the charger.

There is a long thread about using iPad as a notebook replacement if that is interesting for you, dive in there.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
An iPad can be used as a ‘computer’, use a Smart Keyboard and mouse/pencil.... ?
Apple promote it as a computer replacement.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
i know but i really like the ipad experience so i want to try it out...
If you have time, check out the long, stickied thread up about using iPad as laptop replacement for an interesting read.

Personally once the expectations were adjusted and workflow tweaked, it's adequate. It was a long and occasionally frustrating process. I still can't do everything but have just accepted it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.