Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyan magic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2021
MacBook Pro 2019 16 inch here - heading to South East Asia indefinitely. I work remotely on film and music so need to be able to work on my laptop.

I've read Apple's guidelines regarding 0-90 percent humidity in "non condensing conditions". Can anyone explain to me in layman's terms what this means and how I make sure I don't have any issues whilst away as losing access to my computer would be a tragedy!

If anyone has been to Thailand etc in monsoon season with their MacBook Pro's too would love to hear from you as well.

Thanks in advance!

stinksroundhere

Suspended
May 10, 2024
That can definitely be an issue if your workload is generating heat. I was in India with a PowerBook G4 during the monsoon season and the heat and humidity killed the circuitry that powered the display. I had to replace the machine while travelling.

You also have to be careful of small insects in countries with such conditions. Ants will crawl into the machine and damage the circuits.

All in all, keep the AC and ceiling fan on. Keep the windows and curtains closed. Clean away insects.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Don't cool the room down excessively as that will result in condensation forming when you take the computer outside; a fair chance you'll trigger the moisture sensors and potential failure. Have lived and worked across the tropics & sub-tropics for decades. Never had a Mac or PC die on me on the job.

Papua New Guinea - I go, the Mac goes as does the PC...
PNG-1.jpg

Enjoy Thailand is a great country. Monsoon is just part of life in S.E. Asia, here close to Hong Kong we have the pleasure of the Typhoon which can be a different story...

n.b. if on the coast listen to local advise as flooding can be a factor during Monsoon. In Malaysia during Monsoon I monitored the sea state and had a watch with barometer as knew it could impact work and potentially the crews safety. Mostly the Monsoon is an inconvenience, but you now have an opportunity to see first hand...

Those that understand the numbers, they know this is not good. Cant remember but likely a Cat 5 tropical cyclone
IMG_20180916_124947.jpg IMG_20180917_060127.jpg
Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
That can definitely be an issue if your workload is generating heat. I was in India with a PowerBook G4 during the monsoon season and the heat and humidity killed the circuitry that powered the display. I had to replace the machine while travelling.

You also have to be careful of small insects in countries with such conditions. Ants will crawl into the machine and damage the circuits.

All in all, keep the AC and ceiling fan on. Keep the windows and curtains closed. Clean away insects.
Hence why it failed as condensation likely formed soon as it left the room. There's an awful lot of us out here in such conditions 24/7 and things tend to keep on working. My Media server is a 2011 15" MBP, it's over 12-1/2 years old and it's mostly in >75% humidity frequently far more. It's not the humidity that's the issue, it's condensation which should be avoided.

There's not much need for concern as the HW is designed with such conditions in mind, however if you cool the room down to 24C and then go outside in >30C with high humidity the obvious will occur.

Q-6

Kyan magic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2021
Hence why it failed as condensation likely formed soon as it left the room. There's an awful lot of us out here in such conditions 24/7 and things tend to keep on working. My Media server is a 2011 15" MBP, it's over 12-1/2 years old and it's mostly in >75% humidity frequently far more. It's not the humidity that's the issue, it's condensation which should be avoided.

There's not much need for concern as the HW is designed with such conditions in mind, however if you cool the room down to 24C and then go outside in >30C with high humidity the obvious will occur.

Q-6
Thank you, this is great to know. So I just need to try and keep it at a constant temperature and not worry about the humidity that much. I'll be staying in hostels so not sure if there will even be AC or what the deal is with that.

If I end up in a room that is air conditioned and I take it outside though, any tips for smoothing the transition? If there's anything I need to know about what to keep the laptop in whilst it's in my bag etc too don't hesitate to let me know.

Much appreciated :)

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Don't cool the room down excessively as that will result in condensation forming when you take it outside;
Had this happen a couple years ago in high humidity in South Carolina. In-laws had the inside of the condo insanely refrigerated, and when I took my MacBook out onto the patio I saw condensation start to form, just like on a cold drink.

If I end up in a room that is air conditioned and I take it outside though, any tips for smoothing the transition? If there's anything I need to know about what to keep the laptop in whilst it's in my bag etc too don't hesitate to let me know.
What I did (and I'm not sure it's the recommeded best practice or what) was to quickly slip the MacBook into its sleeve in my bag to soak up the moisture and also insulate it a bit so it could warm up more gradually. Took it out after a while when it had acclimated and didn't see any more condensation.

Side note: I wish MacBooks were as sealed from the elements as iPhones are.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Thank you, this is great to know. So I just need to try and keep it at a constant temperature and not worry about the humidity that much. I'll be staying in hostels so not sure if there will even be AC or what the deal is with that.

Much appreciated :)
Just dont cool the room down too much. It's 28.7C here, yet to open the AC. If I do I give the computer time for the temp to equalise, cant change the laws of thermo dynamics...:)

Bangkok has two airports, depending on your destination you may have to transit. The free shuttle bus is the best option. Registered taxi is next, the limo services will happily take your money LOL.

Good quality sleeve and backpack and I mean quality not what the market pushes. I tag my bags with vivid coloured tape as makes them easier to identify and for the few airport thieves a red flag to stand clear of.

Take backup cables and if possible a spare charger, preferably Apple or Anker. doesn't need to be full power I mostly keep my M1 MBP topped up with an Apple 12" rMB charger, batteries like cool and slow and it's never cool here LOL. On the road weight matters, loose the fluff and take what you need not what you want.

If on free/open WiFi etc. a VPN is essential if only just for the duration of the trip. Nothing happens you wont miss the cost. An open network is about as safe as a postcard with your banking details on it. If in a bind or just dont want to, use TOR it's Open Source and free.

Not sure where you coming from, but it's warm here similar to Thailand; shorts & tee-shirts are the order of the day. Only drink bottled water, has to be boiled if from the tap. Be adventurous with the food, vast majority of the street venders are very safe as are bars & restaurants. Spicey means spicey in Thailand, is great food but I like spicy, many are accommodating to western tastes, too much so for me LOL. Use the local shops, they will offer a far better selection & value than any hotel etc. If there for a spell learn to barter, clue is no sticker price it's up for offers. I view myself as local so I refuse to pay more, those that get this get return business, as respect runs both ways.

If you want the room cold, just be mindful and give the Mac time to warmup prior to using it outside. See @ignatius345 post...

Any questions shout out, not a fund of all knowledge, but I do have a lot of years living and working across S.E. Asia and knowledge should be shared, not horded.

Snow in the desert - Taklamakan circa 2006
2006-1-4.JPG

Yesterday, a different jungle for a different forum.
1717266344975.jpeg

As ever, the only stupid question is the one you never ask...

Q-6

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.