Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snoopy61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
North Carolina
I am new to the Live View function on the XSi and must have done something to shut it off. I tried going into the menu and enabling it but on the screen all I see is the settings menu-listing the settings on the camera. So feeling stupid, what didi i do wrong to stop this function from working>When i got it fome from the camera store it was working fine???I admit, i am not smarter than a fifth grader!!! Even if I am a retired chemist-thanks for any help you can provide;)

stovetop6872

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
I am new to the Live View function on the XSi and must have done something to shut it off. I tried going into the menu and enabling it but on the screen all I see is the settings menu-listing the settings on the camera. So feeling stupid, what didi i do wrong to stop this function from working>When i got it fome from the camera store it was working fine???I admit, i am not smarter than a fifth grader!!! Even if I am a retired chemist-thanks for any help you can provide;)

Click select on the camera in the middle of the 4-directional arrows.

Snoopy61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
North Carolina
Live View

okay thanks os much-can I use LiveView in automode?I read the manual and I thought you could use it in automode if you wanted to..but thanks for the simple solution to what I should have been able to figure out;)

Snoopy61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
North Carolina
live view enabling

Okay thanks so much for something i should have been able to figure out,the booklet is not exactly the easiest to understand. Can i use LiveView in full auto mode?I read two different thins about this in the booklet?:rolleyes:

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
No I think not:

Attachments

• Picture 11.png
    Picture 11.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 451

Snoopy61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
North Carolina
usinf live view with Rebel XSi

Hmm, well i didi find this information on a review of the RebeL:
Going beyond the manual focus and phase-detection AF capabilities of earlier EOS models with Live View, the EOS Rebel XSi camera adds a new "Live Mode" contrast-detection AF function that allows the camera to focus automatically during Live View without lowering the reflex mirror

So I still don;t understand how to do this---I'm not smarter than a fifth grader even though I have a B.S. degree in analytical chemistry:confused:

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Lol... that happens!
Well usually.. for AF each DSLR uses an AF sensor (Its a CAM Sensor in the XSi) and the sensor only receives light when the mirror is down!

For Live View the main Sensor (the one which absorbs the light to take a picture, it remains fixed behind the mirror) must be exposed at all times but its not so efficient at AF. So Canon gives you two options:

1. Pull mirror down, pause Live View, AF and pull mirror up! This is comparatively faster since the focusing is still done by a specialized AF Sensor. -> Phase AF|Quick Mode (since its quicker)
2. Use the Main Sensor for AF meaning mirror interruption not required so constant Live View. But since the sensor is not specialized for AF.. it uses what it can do best: detect light. So it uses a contrast based AF detection (contrast is the difference b/w light and dark) and also takes a very long time! It is also unreliable in case of low light or bright light since contrast at these times is very low! -> Contrast AF|Live Mode (since Live View remains on)

To Enable the Contrast based Live View, In Menu, go to the third settings option (the spanner icon with three dots). Scroll to "Custom Functions" and select it using the 'Set' Button.
Now use the side Keypad buttons to scroll and come to something called "AF During Live View" (Its probably the 7th Custom Function.. probably)
Select it using the 'Set' Button and scroll down to the "Live Mode" option and select it using the 'Set' Button again.
There.. you're done!
Press menu to return and enjoy!

But let me be frank.. avoid Contrast AF since its terrible and you have to squiggle the small box around the whole screen to select an AF Position!

Also... DECREASE YOUR DEPENDENCY ON LIVE VIEW. Dslrs are very heavy and using them stuck to your face and squinting eyes makes them much more stable. Also, Dslrs have huge HUGE sensors as compared to pns... meaning Live View in DSLR will be one big battery drain as compared to point n shoot (pns). Third.. you'll come to realize that a DSLR is best used with the viewfinder. Just practice using the viewfinder and it'll seem comfortable!

If you ought to use Live View in positions very uncomfortable like above your head or near your feet... manually select the AF point and use the quick mode AF!

Finally.... after a terribly long post (Sorry).. your manual is your best friend. Read it from the beginning to end and dont skimp anything. If you still have a problem.. we here at MR are here.. just fire up a thread or PM me :)

Apple Ink

Snoopy61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
North Carolina
XSI live view

Well thanks so mu:Dch Apple-I didi go back to the cmera store today and they said in P mode it will work also.So that about answers it for me-thanks so much!!

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
The only time I use Live View is to frame a shot when the camera is in an awkward position like on my mini tripod or if I want to record a video (it's a D90 not Rebel XSi), th contrast based focusing it uses is just atrocious and slow!

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Nice to find it helped....

Also, Live View will work in any mode indicated by an alphabet rather than a caricature.

Once again... I cannot impress but its very important that you lose dependency on Live View!

Congratulations on your purchase of a DSLR (OK this comes a bit late :p). Do share some of your work..... :)

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Once again... I cannot impress but its very important that you lose dependency on Live View!

I came from a point&shoot Canon SD750 with no view finder so I was pretty accustomed to using 'Live View' but once I got my SLR I havent used it once! I actually prefer the view finder! :)

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
I have the XSi also.

After converting from a P-n-S It's so ackward to use an LCD viewfinder.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Welcome..

The Camera is just a tool! :)

You've chosen a hobby, rather, the only hobby/enthusiasm,profession etc in which your creativity and imagination are the only bounds! Welcome!
Your camera is your canvas, lens your brush and the World your inspiration.. start painting! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.