Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatz_55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2020
I just dl'd the trial for Logic Pro X. So far, it's running well. Def a lot of GB for sound files. I currently have a 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB of RAM, Catalina OS (MBP 2018). I'm still learning the ropes of Audio Production.

Are these specs sufficient enough for an external MIDI, guitar, and microphone? I'm mostly making beats and some recorded instruments.

Would love to know your thoughts.

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
Depending on what you're doing, you should be ok. It's definitely on the low side, but it can work.

Reactions: beatz_55

blakedirksen

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
Iowa
I have a 2013 MBP, 8GB RAM, 2GHz Quad Core i7 and I run logic great with a much more complicated set up. One thing to note in logic that will help you a lot; in the audio tab in preferences you can adjust the buffer size as well as go into low latency mode in the general tab. In general, when recording you want low lag and low latency, this will reduce the quality of your plug ins but who cares (and it isn't much), you are trying to get good tracks down. When you are done tracking, set your buffers back and turn off low latency modes and your plug ins will know they can use more resources.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Logic is an incredibly well optimized piece of software. I’m running it on my 2008 iMac, with a Core 2 Duo, 6g of RAM and an Scarlett 6i6 interface. Of course, I need to use max buffer while mixing and some demanding plugins are not usable, but I can do 99% of what I need. For instance, I’m currently mixing a song with 48 audio tracks. Running Logic 10.4.8 on high sierra (not officially supported). This is really amazing !

Reactions: blakedirksen

Manek43509

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Norwich, UK
I'd say you should be fine. I'm a working session musician, and I currently run my whole studio from a mid-2012 MacBook Pro.

The most important thing I've found is good cooling. Recording studios get hot! And MacBooks can be bad for thermal throttling… I have my MacBook elevated and on a cooling tray with integrated fans, and I use the Mac Fan Control utility to adjust the speed of the internal fan so I can try and prevent it overheating.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I'd say you should be fine. I'm a working session musician, and I currently run my whole studio from a mid-2012 MacBook Pro.

The most important thing I've found is good cooling. Recording studios get hot! And MacBooks can be bad for thermal throttling… I have my MacBook elevated and on a cooling tray with integrated fans, and I use the Mac Fan Control utility to adjust the speed of the internal fan so I can try and prevent it overheating.

With such an old a Mac consider opening your old Mac up because older cooling thermal putty is not life long! It tends to dry out after 5-7 Years! So if is getting that hot consider in doing new thermal paste on your processor!

Reactions: loby

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
Don’t forget you can freeze tracks if necessary. You may need to edit your track headers so you can see the freeze button though.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Sure, you can do a lot with that Mac. I've done more with a 2012. The only time you might have issues is when you're playing/ monitoring the plugins (virtual instruments or effects) in real time. This is when horsepower will matter depending on the latency/ buffer settings and the CPU/ RAM requirements of the plugin. There are always work arounds (ie. freezing tracks as Camarillo had mentioned).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.