Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
If I purchase the top of the line newest version of the Mac Mini can I hook it up to my 2013 27 inch iMac and use that monitor instead of buying a new monitor right now? Will my programs run slower if I can?

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
You can't use target display mode, but there are third party equivalents that might do well enough for you and your needs. I use both Luna Display and Duet Display. Duet display being more versatile, and Luna having less latency.

Reactions: Mac Dream Weaver

miniair2023

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2023
For me that is totally impossible. My IMac is dead already. Can't turn it on anymore. Late 2012 IMac

Mac Dream Weaver

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2022
You can't use target display mode, but there are third party equivalents that might do well enough for you and your needs. I use both Luna Display and Duet Display. Duet display being more versatile, and Luna having less latency.
Helpful comment.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Quote: @miniair2023 "For me that is totally impossible. My IMac is dead already. Can't turn it on anymore. Late 2012 IMac"

Not 'totally impossible' (unless it's the screen that has been damaged/died)...
Open it up, discard all the original innards, and fit this:
27-iMac-A1419-Diy-LCD-Monitor-2k-LM270WQ1-SD-F1-F2-Display-Screen-Controller-Driver-Board.jpg_.webp
Lots of this sort of conversion kit sold on AliExpress (and some on eBay), for both 2K and 5K iMacs.
The pictured one is from here - I have no idea of its quality (I only know about 5K conversions)...
The listed price is for the PSU. Select the monitor type to get the price for the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.