Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fadingaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Poole
I have recently purchased a brand new MacBook Pro, and was hoping to use my mid-2011 iMac as a display, rather than cowering over the small screen on the MacBook Pro itself as I work from home a lot.

This article on Apple's own site suggests it should be possible: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204592 using Target Display Mode, but the thunderbolt port on the back of the iMac is a different size to the one on my new MacBook Pro. Having done some research it would seem that my iMac has a Thunderbolt (1) port, and my MacBook has Thunderbolt 3.

I just want to know if it is indeed possible to use my mid-2011 iMac as a display (which the article suggests it is) and if so, what type of adapter will I need? I can see lots of Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapters/leads, but I imagine that wouldn't be right. Has anyone else done this?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sam

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Has anyone else done this?
No, at least your particular case, but I have used a Mid 2011 iMac in Target Display Mode.

I can see lots of Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapters/leads, but I imagine that wouldn't be right.
The Thunderbolt 2 has the same connector as Thunderbolt 1, so I would guess that a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter/cable would be fine.

fadingaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Poole
Thanks - I guess I'll order the cable and give it a try.

Has anyone else attempted to do this from a (new) MacBook Pro, or can think of any reasons why this might not work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.