Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ulahoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
So the apple website lists the base 3.4gHz 27" iMac as only configurable up to 32GB of RAM, while the mid-level and high-level 5k iMac support up to 64GB of RAM. I remember reading somewhere though, that people have placed up to 64GB into the base iMac regardless of what apple lists and that it worked.

Does anyone know if this limitation is real or some artificial limitation that you can actually work around? I wouldn't find it hard to believe that apple would list it like so, in order to encourage purchase upgrades above the base 5K iMac.

For reference: I have ordered the base 3.4gHz 5K iMac and have 16GB (8x2) of Crucial RAM on back order. In the case that the base iMac is configurable above 32GB, I might consider ordering 32GB (16x2) of Crucial RAM instead for a total of 40GB (when paired the the 8GB (4x2) provided by apple).

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 5.45.42 PM.png

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
There is no limitation. It's just a marketing choice by Apple, as in you can't buy more than 32 GB in the base model as a CTO configuration. I note that they use the word "configurable".

What are you going to be using it for BTW? FWIW, I have the mid-tier, but got 2x8 GB Crucial for a total of 24 GB. That will probably last me the life of the machine actually, since normally, around 12 GB is sufficient for me. Or 16 GB if I were to start using a VM again.

Reactions: ulahoa

ulahoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
There is no limitation. It's just a marketing choice by Apple, as in you can't buy more than 32 GB in the base model as a CTO configuration.

Thanks for that clarification! That makes total sense. Time to cancel my order of 16GB of RAM for the 32GB :p

ulahoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
You're welcome, but...

Why would you order 24 GB if you actually needed 40 GB? Do you actually not need 40 GB?

I'm actually not too sure at the moment. I was reading elsewhere that you can never have too much RAM, as the more you have then the more your computer will use (or something to that extent). So in the future if I ever do need 64GB of RAM, then it'd be better to just purchase the 16x2 instead of the 8x2.

Maybe I could get your opinion on how much RAM I'll need. I plan to use the iMac for 4k video editing, light gaming, and normal daily usage. 24GB seems sufficient to me, but I'm no tech expert so maybe future-proofing for 40+GB is necessary?

Edit: I also may run virtual machine or dual boot depending on need for windows in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.