Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I have a typical situation: Comcrap + Dynamic IP.

I'd like to set up a mac server without spending hundreds of dollars/month for "Comcrap Business".

So, I'm thinking about getting a noip.com account so I can get around the dynamic IP and host a server here, but have it accessible eleswhere. Not a lot of data just basic access from time to time.

Has anyone used or can recommend noip.com?

Will Comcrap cancel my account with that type of remote access?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks very much in advance.

- M

P.S. Does anyone know if NOIP.COM can be used with VPN services? Will it track those IP changes as well?

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It will work fine with a server and/or a VPN server with the limitations of what your provider will allow you to do (Comcast's blocked ports info).

You'll have to use a mechanism to update noip.com when your IP changes...either a running app on the server or via settings on your router if the router's firmware has such (preferable).

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks very much for the blocked port info. That is very helpful.

I thought, however, that the whole point of a service like noip.com was that "IT" maintained the changing IP via dynamic IP and abstract (hide) that constantly changing IP address behind the domain name I pick on its service. If I have to update that ip change myself, what is the utility of the service?

I'm possibly missing something.

I have an Airport Extreme router.

Thanks again! :)

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The domain name you pick at noip.com remains constant. If Comcast changes your IP the noip.com servers need to be updated. They don't have a deal with Comcast to do that for you.

What you get is not having to change the address in any client software that accesses the server. All this info is at noip.com.

I don't think the AE has a dynamic DNS service update feature...maybe someone else can chime in with specific knowledge of the current situation.

Your server would need to be running NOIP's update software.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
The domain name you pick at noip.com remains constant. If Comcast changes your IP the noip.com servers need to be updated. They don't have a deal with Comcast to do that for you.

What you get is not having to change the address in any client software that accesses the server. All this info is at noip.com.

I don't think the AE has a dynamic DNS service update feature...maybe someone else can chime in with specific knowledge of the current situation.

Your server would need to be running NOIP's update software.

The dynamic software update link you listed last looks exactly like what I would need so it's all automatic.

Thanks for the excellent information!

- M

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.