Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RamalTheCamel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
I have a little (well, not really) dilemma...

So I recently bought a 34" Samsung Ultrawide Curved Monitor (model no. S34E790C) to go along with my 13 inch 2015 MacBook Pro. I notice that on the back it has four USB 3.0 ports, with two of them having the ability to support fast charging. I would like to use two of those ports to charge my Apple Watch and my iPhone, and the remaining two for a Time Machine backup hard drive and an external 1TB hard drive that has my movies, other media and Logic Pro X sample sounds.

I already have a powered USB 3.0 hub, but it only has four USB 3.0 ports and one USB 2.0 port, which for me is not enough as I need to plug in an array of audio/MIDI devices like MIDI keyboards and microphones. When I need to use Logic, I always find myself unplugging and replugging various devices so that I can get my job done.

This monitor I bought for its stunning curved WQHD display (which is extremely helpful for Logic, school and other everyday tasks) and for the ports on the back. I spent AU$1000 on this monitor, and it's not that I'm unhappy with the purchase; it's more along the lines of me wanting to make the most out of the money I put in.

The monitor came with an HDMI cable, Display Port cable, Display Port to Mini Display Port adapter, and what I think is a USB 3.0 to SS cable (I think that's what it is, not sure what it's actually called) which I know is for connecting the monitor to a laptop/PC in order for the monitor to be used as an external USB hub. Just a little side note, I decided to use the Display Port cable to connect my rMBP to the monitor as the HDMI cable that came with the monitor seemed to be a little dodgy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.