Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
So I really wanna go sad but I have a pretty big aperture library. Will I be okay putting ssd in the optibay and the aperture in hdd(I'm aware of the sleep issue) Will my aperture work be bogged down from it being on the hdd

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
So I really wanna go sad but I have a pretty big aperture library. Will I be okay putting ssd in the optibay and the aperture in hdd(I'm aware of the sleep issue) Will my aperture work be bogged down from it being on the hdd

I think that is the way most people do it. I've got over 400GB in photos in aperture and LR and it's just not cost effective to use SSD at this point for primary data storage.

sure it won't be AS fast, but with a large drive, it will be fine.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
So loading aperture would be fast? But rendering and writing would be just as slow as hdd?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
The library will load like usual, just the applications will load faster and page outs can be written faster, if the RAM gets to full.

This is correct. An SSD will make your system feel much faster overall.

One other thing you can consider is perhaps having your main library on your external drive but if you do a big shoot load those images into their own library right on the SSD while you are working with that photo set. I'm not sure if Aperture supports it, but perhaps when you are done processing the set, you can merge the mini library back into the main library on your external or just move the library to the external drive freeing up room on the SSD for your next big shoot. Someone who has a better grasp of library management in Aperture 3 might be better able to answer how this can be accomplished.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Yes.

Enough RAM and GPU is going to make a difference as well.

I have a G2 Intel SSD, and I'd love to have enough space to have my photos on there, but it's just too darn expensive.

Don't get too bummed out, you can always stripe hard drives if you really need more speed.

gonzaload1987

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
I was wondering if i will feel any difference from using a ssd drive with itunes and my library on an external wireless drive? :confused:

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I was wondering if i will feel any difference from using a ssd drive with itunes and my library on an external wireless drive? :confused:

See Post #4 - the key to good performance with an external drive is to not let it spin down as a power saving measure... otherwise you will be in beachball land.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hey, interesting that you got a similar topic as mine. I'm planning to do the same thing actually (except just getting a FW800 portable drive instead of changing my main hard disk to SSD)

If you are looking for FW800 portable drive, check out this posts, a discussion about portable drives and backing up stuffs ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.