Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joegaeta71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2019
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Mac Mini. Currently, I have a 2015 MacBook Pro hooked up to two (2) 27" Apple Thunderbolt Displays. These displays are still gorgeous and work great. Furthermore, my eyesight sucks (stigmaitism and near-signed)...so, HD and 4K means nothing to me - not to mention that I only need my Mac for Media, Web Browsing, Email, and MS Office. I'm not a video producer or editor or photographer.

Sooooo.... straightforward question: Using a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter(s), can I utilized these monitors with the Mac Mini? Will the FaceTime Camera(s) and display speakers still work with this set up?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
The 2018 Mac Mini uses Thunderbolt 3 ports! You just have to remember one Thunderbolt chip supports two sequences ports! So to get the best speeds for this displays use a sequences of ports like 1&3 os 2&4 on so on! Then you should drives those displays no problem or no adapters needed!

servusGruezi

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Mac Mini. Currently, I have a 2015 MacBook Pro hooked up to two (2) 27" Apple Thunderbolt Displays. These displays are still gorgeous and work great. Furthermore, my eyesight sucks (stigmaitism and near-signed)...so, HD and 4K means nothing to me - not to mention that I only need my Mac for Media, Web Browsing, Email, and MS Office. I'm not a video producer or editor or photographer.

Sooooo.... straightforward question: Using a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter(s), can I utilized these monitors with the Mac Mini? Will the FaceTime Camera(s) and display speakers still work with this set up?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
So any issues with this? I'm going to set up my home office like yours as I found a good deal on a Thunderbolt display. Thanks.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
You will need the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and yes the camera and all the ports on the back should still work.

Reactions: servusGruezi

JGH

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2021
So any issues with this? I'm going to set up my home office like yours as I found a good deal on a Thunderbolt display. Thanks.
Yes, I have issues. 2 thunderbolt Apple displays with Macmini M1. The 2 ports USB3 cannot connect each line to each monitor. Checking with Apple, the option is to connect one USB3-Thunderbolt 3 with the adapter to Thunderbolt 2 to one monitor and use the HDMI to connect to the second Thunderbolt 2 Apple display. I cannot understand why I cannot connect both Thunderbolt 3 outputs from the MacMini to each monitor. Does anybody recommend an adapter from HDMI to Thunderbolt 2, as far I see, all adapters are from HDMI to mini display port.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Yes, I have issues. 2 thunderbolt Apple displays with Macmini M1. The 2 ports USB3 cannot connect each line to each monitor. Checking with Apple, the option is to connect one USB3-Thunderbolt 3 with the adapter to Thunderbolt 2 to one monitor and use the HDMI to connect to the second Thunderbolt 2 Apple display. I cannot understand why I cannot connect both Thunderbolt 3 outputs from the MacMini to each monitor. Does anybody recommend an adapter from HDMI to Thunderbolt 2, as far I see, all adapters are from HDMI to mini display port.

Yeah the M1's are limited to either (MacBook Air and MacBook Pro) two displays; built-in display + one external. Mac mini is limited to two one via Thunderbolt and one via HDMI.

For the 2nd Thunderbolt Display you could get either of the following:
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable
or a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter + an HDMI cable
connect the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable or adapter to the Thunderbolt port on the back of the 2nd Thunderbolt Display and then to the HDMI port on the Mac mini.

You won't be able to use the USB/Ethernet/FireWire on the 2nd Thunderbolt Display with the Mini DisplayPort / HDMI adapter/cable, but you might be able to if you either connect the built-in thunderbolt cable to the 1st Thunderbolt display's thunderbolt port or connect to the Mac mini's Thunderbolt 3 port using the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter for just the ports.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
For the M1 you would need an HDMI to Thunderbolt adapter for a second TB display which does not exist, your only option is through a DisplayLink USB connection.

Or, sell one of them and try to find a used LED Cinema miniDisplayPort version like i did, it costed me the same as getting the right adapters.

JGH

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2021
I've tried to connect for hours the MAC MINI M1with two thunderbolt MAC Monitors and I could not.
1- I connected one monitor directly from the MAC MINI Thunderbolt 3 with an adapter to the MAC Thunderbolt 2 display and worked.
2- Both monitors cannot work if connected with an external thunderbolt cable from monitor 1 to monitor 2
3- I used the other port (HDMI) of the MAC Mini M1, and used an HDMI to Display port and connect to my second Apple Thunderbolt display and did not work.
In the end, I returned the MAC Mini because MAC MINI does not support 2 APPLE Thunderbolt DISPLAYS.

Geoc1

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
I've tried to connect for hours the MAC MINI M1with two thunderbolt MAC Monitors and I could not.
1- I connected one monitor directly from the MAC MINI Thunderbolt 3 with an adapter to the MAC Thunderbolt 2 display and worked.
2- Both monitors cannot work if connected with an external thunderbolt cable from monitor 1 to monitor 2
3- I used the other port (HDMI) of the MAC Mini M1, and used an HDMI to Display port and connect to my second Apple Thunderbolt display and did not work.
In the end, I returned the MAC Mini because MAC MINI does not support 2 APPLE Thunderbolt DISPLAYS.
This is exactly why I did NOT get the M1 mac mini. I was hoping they would announce an M1 max/pro of the mac mini this past october but they didn't. Considering getting the 2018 mac mini for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.