Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
I've been playing around with AMD64/x86-64 emulation using QEmu via the UTM app. My initial use was Ubuntu 20.04 to assess the performance potential for someone who wants to emulate either Linux or Windows on Apple Silicon and specifically the M1. I'm testing on my M1 16GB/1TB MacBook Air.

I've been posting that the performance is not usable but now I have to revise that estimation. Playing around with the various controls for customizing the emulator I think I may have underestimated its performance. The current settings for the System tab and check the Show Advanced Settings box, I changed the CPU to "Enables all features supported by the accelerator in the current host (max)", 4 cores, and check the "Force Multicore" to enabled. There is a scary notice below the Force Multicore checkbox that says, "Set to 0 to use maximum supported CPUs. Force multicore might result in incorrect emulation." Because of this, I originally didn't check the "Force Multicore" box but I had terrible multicore performance on the M1. Checking the box seems to bring back real multicore performance and speeds up the emulator by an immense amount.

I have no idea under what circumstances incorrect emulation "might" occur from the "Force Multicore" box but I didn't seem to encounter anything in my somewhat brief testing of Ubuntu 20.04. If you want to experiment with AMD64 emulation on the M1 try these settings.

My conclusion is that my pessimism for usable x86/x64/AMD64 emulation for things like Windows was wrong. Someone who is more invested in Windows and has an M1 Mac should pursue this and follow up this thread. At this point, I think that emulating Intel/AMD processors isn't going to be as bad as I thought and keep in mind the M1 is the lowest performance Apple Silicon Mac SoC that Apple will ever produce.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Those settings do make a big difference when emulating Windows too, it's a lot faster this way. Not perfect emulation, it glitches occasionally, but workable.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hey, if the old VirtualPC application could run x86 Windows on a PowerPC via emulation, then there's eventually going to be a way to run x86 Windows on an Apple M-series chip.

Reactions: me55

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Hey, if the old VirtualPC application could run x86 Windows on a PowerPC via emulation, then there's eventually going to be a way to run x86 Windows on an Apple M-series chip.
I definitely agree, and it will run at an acceptable, though a bit slow compared to MacOS, performance.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
I played around with Windows 7 yesterday. It was pretty close to usable. Flakey though. Reboots were particularly problematic.

I’m not very knowledgeable about Windows. I generally don’t use it so I’m not a good judge of what Windows users will find acceptable.

I’m hoping some Windows fans will get UTM up and running and report on their findings.

jktom11

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2021
Hi, could you point me in the right direction?
I am trying trying to install the x64 not arm64 version of Ubuntu on my M1, but it seems that only arm64 is possible

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hi, could you point me in the right direction?
I am trying trying to install the x64 not arm64 version of Ubuntu on my M1, but it seems that only arm64 is possible
You need x86 emulation software to run x86 Ubuntu on an M1 Mac. The one referred to in this thread is UTM. You can also use QEMU though it is more difficult to install and configure.

Reactions: jktom11 and gank41
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.