Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shiva_uchiha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2023
The virtualisation is flawless and almost feel like bare metal performance.

I am facing one issue with the usage. My ubuntu vm randomly freezes and get stuck infinitely[4-7 times a day]. The only recovery option is to reboot the vm.Interestingly the macOS and utm application runs fine and is operable when this issue occurs. The freeze only within the VM window.

This is my environment.
MAC OS: Ventura
Architecture : ARM64
Machine: QEMU7.2 ARM
VM OS : ubuntu 20.04
GPU acceleration enabled with virtio-ramfb-gl

Anyone facing same issue ?

forever_music

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2023
About the new UTM version 4.1:

Improved renderer backend. Lots of bug fixes and stability improvements to GPU accelerated Linux VMs (most common crashes when GPU acceleration is enabled should be gone now). New option to change the renderer backend to ANGLE Metal and limit FPS (in Preferences). Switching to Metal is highly recommended.

and that's important too

Notes​

• Newly created Linux VMs will now use virtio-gpu-gl-pci by default. It is recommended that you change the display card of existing QEMU backend Linux VMs to this card in order to take advantage of the improved renderer backend. This should result in improved performance in GUI rendering. Note that some applications (particularly 3D applications) may lock up or crash UTM and if you are experiencing issues, you can go back to virtio-ramfb or virtio-vga.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.