Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I got a small bonus last month from work and decided to put it in a nice UV filter. I need an UV filter because I'm going to Austria in january and Portugal in March :cool:. Anyway I can't wait to get there and start photographing. everything. :p. I was hoping someone could recommend me a nice filter in the 70-80 euro range. I was thinking the B+W UV Filter 77 E, for those who are familiar with it. I will be using the filter on a Tokina 12-24 F/4 and likely in the near future on a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 (2-ring).

Any suggestions? Your help will be greatly appreciated ;)

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I got a small bonus last month from work and decided to put it in a nice UV filter. I need an UV filter because I'm going to Austria in january and Portugal in March :cool:. Anyway I can't wait to get there and start photographing. everything. :p. I was hoping someone could recommend me a nice filter in the 70-80 euro range. I was thinking the B+W UV Filter 77 E, for those who are familiar with it. I will be using the filter on a Tokina 12-24 F/4 and likely in the near future on a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 (2-ring).

Any suggestions? Your help will be greatly appreciated ;)

A UV filter is a waste of money, imho.
I would get a polarizer, however!! You probably can pick one up in that price range.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I got a small bonus last month from work and decided to put it in a nice UV filter. I need an UV filter because I'm going to Austria in january and Portugal in March

So I guess they have blowing sand or rains or something in those places?
Well, if so then a filter is reasonable. Filters help because you can clean them but can't clean a lens element as easily. I just rince my filters in water under the tap. I would not do that wit a lens.
IF there is not junk flying in the air when just skip the filter. Use a lens cap and lens hood to protect the lens from small bumps. the filter is for stuff like blowing saltwater spray.

All you want is a filter that claims to be "super multi coated" or the something like that. To test a filters you look at reflections in it and choose the filter that acts the least like a mirror. In you are indoors and it's daylight outside stand facing away from a window and try to use a filter was a mirror to see out the window over your shoulder. A cheap filter makes a decent mirror a very good one will not reflect an image of the window.

Lacking a window try looking at a reflection of an indoor ceiling lamp.

Or you can just order a Hoya HMC or SMC type UV filter.

But no matter what you buy figure that one day years from now you will have to replace it after it no longer passes the above reflection test. Aggressive cleaning will degrade the optical coating. But no big deal this is why you buy a UV filter because it is "expendable" and easy to replace.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
FWIW, I recently took the UV filter off my 17-40L for the first time in its life; made an enormous difference in IQ and (especially) in focus speed.

Granted, the UV filter I had on there was a no name piece of junk. If you're going to get a UV filter, get a good one.

Frankly, if you've got a hood on your lens AND there are no dust issues, I'd pass on the UV filter completely.

= bluntman =

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I know this may seem like an ad, but when you settle on the type of filter you want to buy, check out maxsaver.net out of HK and save some of your bonus for other things. :)

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I'm not buying an UV Filter because I want my lenses protected. My 105mm micro is aged almost 10, never had anything in front of it, still works like new.

It's very interesting though, because I thought light bouncing of the snow in a 100 different directions would multiply the amount of UV light, creating a hazy effect on a photo. I also read you don't need to cheap out on UV filters, especially because a bad one can worsen the image quality.

I think I might just pass on a UV filter if I read this.

anyway thanks for the responses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.