Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Is it mandatory to put UV filters on every single lens? i just bought a Sony 50mm SAL50M28 and was wondering if i needed to put UV filter on it.

heres a link to it: http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...Id=1002947&navigationPath=32090n100269n100356

All my other lenses Sigma 28-200mm , Sigma 10-20mm, Sony 17-35mm have UV filters for protection. But since the 50mm lens is deep down inside the body, is there a need to put one?

Thanks!

Cory5412

macrumors member
May 14, 2004
Arizona
I've got a Nikon 50mm lens that is similar in construction, and I've got a UV filter on it anyway, purely because they are very inexpensive, and because it still protects the lens from dust. I'd say to get one if you can afford it, because it's really easy to clean the filters.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
There is no "need/or must" though some people swear by it. If it was so crucial, I'm sure it would have been built into the lens;)

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
There is no "need/or must" though some people swear by it. If it was so crucial, I'm sure it would have been built into the lens;)

Thats what i thought! But teachers and tutors swear by it and say if in the event of a drop, the filter will take in all the vibration and will protect the lens.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If you're consistent about using a hard lens hood, that provides much better protection for your front lens element. I've (mostly) stopped putting UV or "protection" filters on my lenses. But if you really feel you need to do it, invest in good ones. And that means spending a significant amount of money.

Remember that lenses can be repaired, if necessary. That costs more than a filter for a single lens, of course; but if you put good filters on multiple lenses it does add up.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Some swear by them, I don't see the value in sticking a cheapo piece of glass on the front of my lenses. The lens hood probably offers just as good protection (also lens hoods don't shatter and scratch the front element when damaged!).

I guess if your shooting in a sandstorm, then a protection filter is worthwhile.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
UV filters do nothing for digital image quality. In fact, some cheap ones can induce halos and other unwanted defects. But if you are taking photos in mountainous regions, they may help a little. UV filters are only good to provide additional protection from water splashes, dust, etc. to the front glass of a digital lens. A lens hood offers more protection than an UV filter should you bump the lens against something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.