Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
My new Canon 40D should be arriving sometime this week. I am very excited. I am upgrading from my Canon XTi. The 40D will come with the 28-135mm IS lens. I wanted to get either a UV filter, a lens hood, or both for the camera lens. Is it necessary to have both?
As for the UV filters, I saw a couple Hoya UV filters I liked, but I wasn't sure which would be best. They have a haze filter and a polarized filter. Which one should I go with if I get a UV filter?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
My new Canon 40D should be arriving sometime this week. I am very excited. I am upgrading from my Canon XTi. The 40D will come with the 28-135mm IS lens. I wanted to get either a UV filter, a lens hood, or both for the camera lens. Is it necessary to have both?
As for the UV filters, I saw a couple Hoya UV filters I liked, but I wasn't sure which would be best. They have a haze filter and a polarized filter. Which one should I go with if I get a UV filter?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Opinions vary on the utility of UV filters for digital sensors based upon the lack of sensitivity of the sensor behind a hot mirror to UV light. A lens hood helps tremendously on off-axis stray light off to the side, as well as stopping some things from hitting the front element.

Personally, I'd either go to a camera store and shoot with a UV, Haze, Skylight and whatever else they have that's interesting, or just go for a plain glass filter if you're of the "I want a cheap filter protecting the expensive lens" type of person.

I generally only shoot with NDs or CPLs when I need them, as each glass surface degrades the resolution somewhat- though a single filter isn't generally noticeable.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
the lens hood is the closest thing to necessary. The filter is your choice, but if you do get one, make sure it is multi-coated. That means Hoya SHMC or B+W MRC, for those two particular brands.

osin

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
Lens hood is a must!
If you will have it on all the time there is no need for UV filter, unless you shoot in harsh conditions (beach, strong wind etc)

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
the lens hood is the closest thing to necessary. The filter is your choice, but if you do get one, make sure it is multi-coated. That means Hoya SHMC or B+W MRC, for those two particular brands.

I'll second that for the multi coated filters... if you buy a cheap UV filter you get all sorts of horrible reflections appearing in your images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.