Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kangaroodle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2021
Hi, first time posting! My university are going to buy me a new MacBook and have offered either the MBP i5 or M1. After doing some research I think M1 wins hands down. I use two monitors and have read all the threads on using a DisplayLink adapter to get around the 1 monitor allowance. However, I am limited to what adapter I can buy as using uni suppliers. The only one I can afford which has DisplayLink is "V7 Universal USB-C w/ Power Delivery, Dual Monitor 4K, HDMI Displayport, Displaylink Docking Station up to 65W". I haven't been able to see if anyone else has used this successfully and can't seem to find specs to say whether the DP port is at least 1.2 and HDMI at least 2.0 (as mentioned on other posts as important). I am wondering if it is OK or if I should just buy my own secondhand Dell D6000? Obviously I would rather Uni paid, but I more want a working setup!
Thanks in advance

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Hi Kangaroodle,

Interesting!

Can you possiblly post the threads you've researched? this would be a good read!

I've searched Mac rumours and have not come up with much at all

Hope it works out ok for you! :)

Regards,
Martin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.