Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
My camera was tripod mounted, and I unwittingly left it on a minor incline without making sure the tripod legs were extended enough. The earth's gravity pulled the whole rig to the pavement - breaking my lens hood - and as I later noticed, the port/terminal for plugging in the remote cable release, which I use frequently.

Canon's website completely sucks, so it's of no use - but does it sound like I'll have to send it in to a Canon service center which I see are in New Jersey and California?

At least the camera still takes pictures...

Some more info... this fall took place two Fridays ago when I was photographing an outdoor event in the evening. The camera/tripod fell, the trigger remained inside the port, and I went about shooting, thinking I was very lucky that I got away with just a busted lens hood. Then I packed up all the gear and went on a trip to New York - where I soon realized using the remote cable release was not an option. Some piece of black plastic with a ring of metal came out stuck to the end of the trigger, so I superglued it back in hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't.

How do I go about fixing my 5D?

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I think the ring clips the plug in place. It might be possible to remove with long nose pliers.

The clip broke out and I superglued it back in very carefully, still to no avail.

Good excuse to get yourself the Mk II! You deserve it.

Hey, long time no see!

The 5D and I have been through a lot together thus far, and I can't bear the thought of retiring it quite yet.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
A picture of the damage would be nice.

There is no visible damage. Well, there was the little plastic and silver clip thing that wouldn't stay fastened that I glued back in, but now there's no visible damage... it's just that I've tried two shutter triggers and neither have any effect on the 5D now.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
There is no visible damage. Well, there was the little plastic and silver clip thing that wouldn't stay fastened that I glued back in, but now there's no visible damage... it's just that I've tried two shutter triggers and neither have any effect on the 5D now.

...The little plastic and silver clip thing? Do you mean from the end of the remote, or the actual port of your camera? If it was on the camera, then gluing it back might really have ruined your connector. If you mean on the remote (which it sounds that you've tried other triggers to no avail), then that might be done.

The most likely impact on the camera is that one of the three prongs inside the port may have become disconnected. Frankly, I wouldn't mess with it, and would send it to Canon. Then again were I to mess with it, I would try moving the three prongs around (back OR forth- they should be even in length).

That sucks about your camera. Best of luck with it.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Sorry to hear about your accident... I know what you mean about not wanting to retire a good workhorse that's served you well. I just wanted to say that. I wish I had a good suggestion, but it's a bit out of my technical know-how range...

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I just UPS'ed the thing to Canon's service center in New Jersey. And all this time I had always hoped I would never have to do this. Anyway, it's important my 5 be totally prepared for the holidays... insuring the camera in shipment was most of the shipping cost.

Just in case anyone gives a rat's arse about my 5D repair... :rolleyes:

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Here's a little somethin' that might make ya (ll) laugh...

So I go out to my car this morning leaving for work to find it's been sideswiped by some reckless speech impediment and most of the driver's side is all torn up. $3200 in damage. But hey, even though the 5D is in Jersey right now, I still have my old Rebel XT, and the Focus doesn't go in the shop till Monday, so I'll try and put together a real fun HDR of the ruined quarter panel, dented door, and scraped and broken paint. It will be scintillating!

I'll be curious to see next if my hard drives on my Mac Pro fail.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Here's a little somethin' that might make ya (ll) laugh...

So I go out to my car this morning leaving for work to find it's been sideswiped by some reckless speech impediment and most of the driver's side is all torn up. $3200 in damage. But hey, even though the 5D is in Jersey right now, I still have my old Rebel XT, and the Focus doesn't go in the shop till Monday, so I'll try and put together a real fun HDR of the ruined quarter panel, dented door, and scraped and broken paint. It will be scintillating!

I'll be curious to see next if my hard drives on my Mac Pro fail.

Wow dude, bad things happen in threes, so be prepared... Hate to hear about all of this :(

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Wow dude, bad things happen in threes, so be prepared... Hate to hear about all of this :(

Well, regarding the car... only thing is my timeframe for pimpin' it up has been altered. I'll have to wait until the body damage is repaired first before I get started on adding the noisy exhaust, some racing stripes... all that good stuff that makes the car go faster. You know, like some phat spinners to roll on, and a racing spoiler on the back of the hood! Once the body shop repairs the Focus and I get it all pimped out, I'll be pickin' up chicks all over!

Anyway... haha I'm crackin' myself up here. No, maybe this is the last of the bad luck for the year.... had a seizure this summer and have been hospitalized twice this year, and my dad's apartment caught fire the day after I had the seizure.... he lives in the same building as I do.... I think that's everything. Ooh, did I mention the 5D that's in Jersey now getting repaired was around my neck when I had the seizure? Yes, and when I came to on the sidewalk I was under the deliriously mistaken impression that the people around me helping me were trying to steal the 5D and my lens bag. Ahh.... Although it's starting to look more and more like this time next year we'll all be standing in breadlines and congregating in makeshift Bernanke-villes, so who really knows.... we could all be doomed!

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Aha! Thank you! I can call my renter's insurance people... aren't they supposed to help when expensive items need repair?

Yes they are, but they're an insurance company which means they're worse than just about anything else.

Good luck, but if its a $200 or less repair I wouldn't bother dragging your insurance into it. Save it for when the *whole* camera goes kaput.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Good luck with the camera.

I hope your seizures get worked out too. That really sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.