Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
My grandmother gave me an old Pentax 35mm SLR. I'm guessing it's from the '60s or '70s. Along with it were a few lenses that all seem to be in really good shape. Should I decide to sell them, how do I go about determining how much they're worth?

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
For a 100% sale ... to to eBay and find the average selling price of each piece. Then, knock off 10% and set that as a buy it now.

As for the gear, could you give us some information on it? If nothing else the focal length/aperture of the lenses and the model number on the camera. Maybe someone here will make an offer.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Keep them. Play with them. They're most likely worthless. ( I have some old Pentax gear as well). If you want you try to use them on a new body, using a converter.

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
For a 100% sale ... to to eBay and find the average selling price of each piece. Then, knock off 10% and set that as a buy it now.

As for the gear, could you give us some information on it? If nothing else the focal length/aperture of the lenses and the model number on the camera. Maybe someone here will make an offer.

I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to eBay. Not that I've ever had bad luck, but never bought/sold anything worth more than $20.

Here's what I've got:

Camera:
Asahi/Pentax Spotmatc F

Flash:
Sunpak Auto 221

Three Lenses:
-Asahi SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4
-Tou/Five Star MC 28mm f/2.8
-Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 telephoto

Lightmeter:
Weston Master II Model 735 w/ manual

Paperweight... Doorstop... Conversation piece... ;)

LOL I hope that's not the case, but if that's true, I may try to get it fixed up and acutally use it :D

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
look around (ebay, POTN, FM, mflenses, craigslist...) to see the going prices. prices for manual lenses has actually gone up a little since m4/3 and DSLR video have become more popular.

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
look around (ebay, POTN, FM, mflenses, craigslist...) to see the going prices. prices for manual lenses has actually gone up a little since m4/3 and DSLR video have become more popular.

What about places like B&H and Adorama? I know you can buy used equipment there. Can you sell it there as well? Or trade it in towards the shiny new DSLR I've been wanting forever?

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
Forget ebay, its most likely worthless and unless your hard up for cash the money you get from it probably isnt worth the effort.

Personally, Id hang onto it. I had a richo xr1 i gave to goodwill that I now wish I had. luckily i found my dads old canon ae1 to use if i ever want to shoot film..

If you really dont want it find a photography student and give it to them.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
What about places like B&H and Adorama? I know you can buy used equipment there. Can you sell it there as well? Or trade it in towards the shiny new DSLR I've been wanting forever?

Yes, you can sell. However, you'll almost certainly get less than you would on eBay, but you'll save yourself time and effort, and you'll have a definite sale (as opposed to putting the same item up on eBay for the 5th time). If you're in the NYC area, then it's worth just dropping by to see how much you can get from each place; otherwise you'll have to send it in and deal with all that mess. At Adorama (haven't sold old gear to B&H), you get slightly more (8% I think) for a trade than a straight sale.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
LOL I hope that's not the case, but if that's true, I may try to get it fixed up and acutally use it :D

I'm afraid it is. The cupboards and attics of the world are filled with old SLR's. The lenses that you mention aren't really spectacular. And I see Spotmatics offered for 20 euro's. So buy some film and play with it. If you're bored you'll have 4 doorstops!

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Not sure why people are so negative on eBay, I turn excellent profits when I am working with old cameras. Granted you have to know the market, but I do OK.

Like recently (not so much now), old Polaroid 600 cameras were booming, especially the ones with the rainbow stripe on them. Granted you might not think 25-50 a pop is "booming" but when I can pick them up for 1-5 bucks and make that kind of profit, Im all for the work. I've considered putting my beloved Minolta Autocord on there, but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

With that being said, I agree, get some film and use it or donate to a photog student.

MacRodster

macrumors member
May 31, 2010
You should be able to get between $50 to a $100 for the Asahi SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 depending on condition. $20 to $40 for the Vivitar and about $10 to $15 for the Tou/Five Star MC 28mm f/2.8.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
You should be able to get between $50 to a $100 for the Asahi SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 depending on condition. $20 to $40 for the Vivitar and about $10 to $10 for the Tou/Five Star MC 28mm f/2.8.

This. The Takumar is probably quite a good lens and the vivitar might garner some interest too.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
My first 35mm camera was an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II, with stop down metering. I had a Takumar SMC 50 f/1.4 and a Takumar SMC 135mm f/2.5 lens, which was better than their 135mm f/2.8 lens. I loved that camera and would probably still have it if it hadn't been stolen years ago...

I say just keep it, and buy some film... :)

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
The Asahi SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 gives a very dreamy look and have a good bokeh! Any user with an Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 7D or 550D should take a look at this inexpensive lens for video.

It could fetch around $50 to $100 as another user pointed out, depending on its condition.

Where are you located?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.