Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

limoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Hi, I want to buy an iPhone in London, UK. I am not a EU citizen and I don't live in UK (I just travel for work). Is the 20% tax refund still applicable? It's unclear if this https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/help/payments
relates only to online sales or generally speaking in the UK.

Kindly your advise.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Hi, I want to buy an iPhone in London, UK. I am not a EU citizen and I don't live in UK (I just travel for work). Is the 20% tax refund still applicable? It's unclear if this https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/help/payments
relates only to online sales or generally speaking in the UK.

Kindly your advise.

From 1 January 2021, the UK government ended tax-free sales in airports, ports and Eurostar stations. This means you cannot buy tax-free goods such as electronics and clothing if you are travelling to non-EU countries. VAT refunds for overseas visitors in British shops have now been removed.

Reactions: snipr125

limoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Thanks guys. that's weird. I called Apple's store in Covent Garden and someone said there that it's still doable. I will have to recheck it with them again,

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
Currently (since Jan 21):

"You can only buy tax-free goods from shops in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) if they’re delivered straight to an address outside the UK"

If you can wait until 2024, VAT-free shopping will be reintroduced :)
Can i buy a tax free Rolex from Switzerland being a USA resident ? 😂

limoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Well, putting aside your irony, the answer is yes. You will however be needed to travel outside of the country to get it and DECLARE this in the US airport you are arriving and pay TAX.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Sure! As a non-Swiss resident. VAT here is 7.7% but unless the retailer does the admin directly with you, companies like Global Blue take around half of the refund as fees. Theoretically, you'll need to pay import tax/duties when entering the US. Theoretically.

Reactions: Fred Zed

limoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Currently (since Jan 21):

"You can only buy tax-free goods from shops in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) if they’re delivered straight to an address outside the UK"
https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/taxfree-shopping

If you can wait until 2024, VAT-free shopping will be reintroduced :)
thanks man. that's a bummer, couple of years ago i did purchase some stuff like this but i assume it's not the case anymore ... brexit stuff i assume

Reactions: adrianlondon

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Last edited:
Reactions: lazygolfer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.