Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glynster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
Does anybody have any experience with these cards? I still have spinning hard disks in my Mac Pro 2010 which feels so ancient now and is bottlenecking my speed. I understand the 2010 MP doesn't have Sata 3 speeds (?) so I wanted to use PCI-e card with an SSD to get the full benefit of the SSD - I intend to run my OS and my apps from the PCI-e SSD drive and use the 4 bays purely for scratch disks and backups.

Not sure if the solo X1 and X2 essentially the same except for a slight speed boost with the X2 (500mbs instead of 400 respectively) and whether or not my Mac will feel the benefit of that or not. I have also seen the OWC accelsior S which I'm guessing is the equivalent of the Apricorn X2? Is that right? If so, it seems a better deal here in the UK. I know some of these have issues with booting Windows but I prefer to boot windows in VMware fusion anyway as I only need it very occasionally to test web code in Internet Explorer so that doesn't bother me too much. But the last thing I want is a temperamental boot of my main OS.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Please do a search. Lot's of information here on those cards. I have used both the Solo x2 and the Duo x2. Both work very well.

Lou

davvanc

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
Does anybody have any experience with these cards? I still have spinning hard disks in my Mac Pro 2010 which feels so ancient now and is bottlenecking my speed. I understand the 2010 MP doesn't have Sata 3 speeds (?) so I wanted to use PCI-e card with an SSD to get the full benefit of the SSD - I intend to run my OS and my apps from the PCI-e SSD drive and use the 4 bays purely for scratch disks and backups.

Not sure if the solo X1 and X2 essentially the same except for a slight speed boost with the X2 (500mbs instead of 400 respectively) and whether or not my Mac will feel the benefit of that or not. I have also seen the OWC accelsior S which I'm guessing is the equivalent of the Apricorn X2? Is that right? If so, it seems a better deal here in the UK. I know some of these have issues with booting Windows but I prefer to boot windows in VMware fusion anyway as I only need it very occasionally to test web code in Internet Explorer so that doesn't bother me too much. But the last thing I want is a temperamental boot of my main OS.
I have the OWC card with a Plextor 256GB SSD installed in a MP 2009. Works great, reads and writes at just under 500bps (is that 500Bps?) according to the AJA system test.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Please do a search. Lot's of information here on those cards. I have used both the Solo x2 and the Duo x2. Both work very well.

Lou

Any differences, or are they functionally equivalent?
[doublepost=1452026647,1452026427][/doublepost]

I'm in the same boat as you. I actually have an Solo X2 with a 500GB SSD right now as my boot drive, and it works great! I was about to buy a second one for a new 1TB SSD that I'm adding when I heard about the OWC model, which appears to do the exact same thing as the Solo X2 but is about $30 cheaper. Thus I'm interested in finding out any differences as well.

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
I have the OWC card with a Plextor 256GB SSD installed in a MP 2009. Works great, reads and writes at just under 500bps (is that 500Bps?) according to the AJA system test.
Capital B, and probably not Bps but MBps or MB/s :)

glynster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
Any differences, or are they functionally equivalent?
[doublepost=1452026647,1452026427][/doublepost]

I'm in the same boat as you. I actually have an Solo X2 with a 500GB SSD right now as my boot drive, and it works great! I was about to buy a second one for a new 1TB SSD that I'm adding when I heard about the OWC model, which appears to do the exact same thing as the Solo X2 but is about $30 cheaper. Thus I'm interested in finding out any differences as well.
Yes, that's my main question I suppose - I dont see any difference between the OWC and the X2 other than the price of a couple of Pizzas - that gets me wondering what the catch is because OWC is not usually bargain basement.

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
Yes, that's my main question I suppose - I dont see any difference between the OWC and the X2 other than the price of a couple of Pizzas - that gets me wondering what the catch is because OWC is not usually bargain basement.
The solo x2 also has a second Sata-port and built in raid so two drives can be raided together and give ~800MB/s speeds. The owc one does not.

glynster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
Thanks for clarifying that for me - I'm not familiar with using RAID, apart from occasional FCPX and Motion work the majority of taxing work I do is in Creative Suite so having a scratch/data disk that is as fast as my OS/app disk would be a real bonus I'm guessing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.