Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dataharvested

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2022
I just reinstalled macOS Ventura via OCLP due to a graphics card change. Everything went well until I restored my Time Machine backup from the same machine via an external hard drive. I got the message that the Time Machine restoration was completed and that the computer was going to restart, but now it just loads to boot picker and the white Apple loading screen, gets about half way through the progress bar and reboots over and over and over.

Can I not perform a Time Machine restoration after using OCLP on an unsupported install of macOS? Is the Time Machine restoration putting files into place or removing data needed by OCLP and Ventura? That's my guess. Which means I'm going to have to do this all over again for the third time and put my personal data back onto the computer one folder at a time or something.

dataharvested

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2022
I'm starting with reinstalling Ventura from the OCLP created installation media and seeing if I can get into macOS after to patch again with OCLP. If that doesn't work, I'm going to to have to format the SSD once again and do a full reinstall of Ventura and move my data back into the place the hard way.

The fun part is, I'm going to have to do this on my second CMP as well, the one that is functioning as my home server.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Have you tried installing the base OS that you had when you made your backup and then restoring your backup to that?

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Time Machine with a MacPro5,1 was reliable up to Monterey, I also had problems when restoring with Ventura and Sonoma with a different hardware config, as the OP had. Migration works better.

Reactions: dataharvested

dataharvested

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2022
macOS Ventura is reinstalled and working normally. I patched again with OCLP right after getting to the desktop. I'm currently moving my data from the Time Machine backup folder by folder to avoid the previously encountered issue.

dataharvested

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2022
Please don't tell me that my internal SuperDrive had to be connected when building the Ventura installer via OCLP. I had a working SuperDrive icon and drive prior to the re-installation of Ventura this morning. The icon to eject the drive is missing from the menu bar.

Last edited:

dataharvested

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2022
Never mind, was able to restore the icon by:

• Open Finder and select Go > Go to Folder. In the Go to the folder box, type /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras.
  • In Menu Extras, double-click Eject.menu. The Eject menu icon is added to the menu bar. Select the icon and choose Open or Close.
Courtesy of the www.

dataharvested

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2022
After several installations of Ventura via OCLP I think I finally have a hang of it. :)

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
Time Machine with a MacPro5,1 was reliable up to Monterey, I also had problems when restoring with Ventura and Sonoma with a different hardware config, as the OP had. Migration works better.
Having the same issue on a 6,1 with monterey, last good backup was on monterey, did a clean install of sequoia and did both a restored and a migration assistant and both had a boot loop issue.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Having the same issue on a 6,1 with monterey, last good backup was on monterey, did a clean install of sequoia and did both a restored and a migration assistant and both had a boot loop issue.

MrMacintosh explained that you need to revert OCLP root patches BEFORE restoring the TM via Migration Assistant, personally I did not yet tested this procedure to confirm if really works.

This is the video, he used a MacPro6,1 to do it:

Reactions: dataharvested

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
MrMacintosh explained that you need to revert OCLP root patches BEFORE restoring the TM via Migration Assistant, personally I did not yet tested this procedure to confirm if really works.

damn it i watched that video and must not have been paying attention.

dataharvested

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2022
I noticed that in his video too. If I'm ever in that situation again I'll have to give it a try.

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009

I went an did follow the steps and I was able to restore without the root patches and then apply them and its seems to be working

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.