Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oakrrl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Just upgraded to Ventura, and when I try to open FileMaker Pro Advanced 17 I get a "damaged and can't be opened" message.
Anyone know if Ventura breaks Filemaker 17? Claris is no help....

Reactions: bheuman

murrayE

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
Same thing here after I upgraded to Ventura: FileMaker Pro damaged and cannot be opened. (A few other apps with same problem, which suggests something systematic is wrong in Ventura!)

theGrot

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2022
Anyone know if this affects FileMaker Pro 19? Haven't updated to Venturda yet.
I've got Ventura running in a UTM Virtual Machine (on an M1 Macbook Pro 14") for testing purposes, and FileMaker Pro Advanced 17 + 18, and FileMaker Pro 19 all run. I'm still testing all the functionality though. Something to be aware of when testing is plugin compatibility, plugins that call macOS APIs are things to watch out for.

Reactions: rpmurray

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
In the past the thing that has always led me to wait a MacOS .1 release was Filemaker. As a general rule, the latest version of FileMaker is best.

but plug-ins definitely can be an issue, too.

theGrot

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2022
Same thing here after I upgraded to Ventura: FileMaker Pro damaged and cannot be opened. (A few other apps with same problem, which suggests something systematic is wrong in Ventura!)
My FileMaker 17 worked fine, but 18 complained. When I re-installed it, 18 came good.

Reactions: bheuman and JYTX

theGrot

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2022
I've got Ventura running in a UTM Virtual Machine (on an M1 Macbook Pro 14") for testing purposes, and FileMaker Pro Advanced 17 + 18, and FileMaker Pro 19 all run. I'm still testing all the functionality though. Something to be aware of when testing is plugin compatibility, plugins that call macOS APIs are things to watch out for.
I've since done a clean install of Ventura on a separate partition for testing purposes, and installed 17, 18, and 19. All are working OK. Still have to test with plugins though.

Reactions: JYTX

mark107

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2022
Ventura appeared to break Filemaker Pro 18 here. On a hunch, I moved their app out of the Applications folder, and RE-INSTALLED Filemaker Pro 18. Works fine now. It appears that a Ventura install messes up FMP, and that all that is needed is a re-install.

Reactions: erikselz

JYTX

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2022
I've since done a clean install of Ventura on a separate partition for testing purposes, and installed 17, 18, and 19. All are working OK. Still have to test with plugins though.
Thank you for sharing !

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Ventura appeared to break Filemaker Pro 18 here. On a hunch, I moved their app out of the Applications folder, and RE-INSTALLED Filemaker Pro 18. Works fine now. It appears that a Ventura install messes up FMP, and that all that is needed is a re-install.

every year of all my apps, and I have a lot of third party ones, it’s always FMP that breaks with a new MacOS release

erikselz

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2022
thank you mark107 - this simple fix prevented a minor panic attack on my part - appreciate! 🦾

oakrrl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Thanks all.

I Finally got through to Claris. A clean install does the trick.
(First you need to uninstall all FM files - see below per Claris).
Also, if you upgraded from a prior version (as I had), be sure to have the prior version's license number or you won't be able to re-install. I'd upgraded from 14 to 17, so I needed 14 license (again) as well as 17 license

- FileMaker Pro from Applications
- FileMaker references from ~/Library/Application Support
- FileMaker references from ~/Library/Caches/
- FileMaker references from ~/Library/Preferences
- FileMaker references from ~/Library/Saved Application State/
- The FileMaker folder from /Users/Shared/

JYTX

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2022
Just upgraded to Ventura, and when I try to open FileMaker Pro Advanced 17 I get a "damaged and can't be opened" message.
Hi. I've installed Ventura on my computer, and it seems nothing bad happened with FMPA 17. I've not tested every function though, but it launched and seemed to work normally.

bheuman

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2022
Happened to me too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.