Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
I just realized that Mail.app in Ventura no longer appears to have any idea that there are sounds located at ~/Library/Sounds, which as always worked in the past, for years and years. I only see about a dozen sounds, NONE of which i have been able to determine where they are located. Does anyone have any idea about this?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
The 14 defaults listed are in /System/Library/Sounds.

Mail, for me, is showing the two sound files that are in my ~/Library/Sounds. One is a ringtone file, other is aiff: this one can be selected and plays correctly in Mail.

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
I thought i checked /System/Library/Sounds, but i looked again, and the files in there do not match the ones I see in Mail. The directory contains

Tink.aiff​
Purr.aiff​
Sosumi.aiff​
Submarine.aiff​
Morse.aiff​
Ping.aiff​
Pop.aiff​
Frog.aiff​
Funk.aiff​
Glass.aiff​
Hero.aiff​
Basso.aiff​
Blow.aiff​
Bottle.aiff​

However Mail lists

Boop​
Breeze​
Bubble​
Crystal​
Funky​
Heroine​
Jump​
Mezzo​
Pebble​
Pluck​
Pong​
Sonar​
Sonumi​
Submerge​

Bizarre.

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
The 14 defaults listed are in /System/Library/Sounds.

Mail, for me, is showing the two sound files that are in my ~/Library/Sounds. One is a ringtone file, other is aiff: this one can be selected and plays correctly in Mail.
Follow up: I just created a /Library/Sounds folder and placed an .aiff fiile in there, quit mail and opened it back up, and what do you know - the sound appeared. but NOT when in my ~/Library/Sounds folder.

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
I thought i checked /System/Library/Sounds, but i looked again, and the files in there do not match the ones I see in Mail. The directory contains

Tink.aiff​
Purr.aiff​
Sosumi.aiff​
Submarine.aiff​
Morse.aiff​
Ping.aiff​
Pop.aiff​
Frog.aiff​
Funk.aiff​
Glass.aiff​
Hero.aiff​
Basso.aiff​
Blow.aiff​
Bottle.aiff​

However Mail lists

Boop​
Breeze​
Bubble​
Crystal​
Funky​
Heroine​
Jump​
Mezzo​
Pebble​
Pluck​
Pong​
Sonar​
Sonumi​
Submerge​

Bizarre.
Well

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
Now I feel like SUCH a *******. Ventura puts its default alert sounds into SUBFOLDERS in ~/Library/Sounds - there is one called New and another called Modern. And these do appear in the abomination that is the new System Settings alert sound menu. But NOT in Mail. I had my own custom sounds in their own subfolder just to keep things organized. Placing them all DIRECTLY into the Sounds folder makes them appear in Mail and doesnt seem to disrupt anything else. Doh! Past versions of macOS could definitely recognize AIFF files in subfolders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.