Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What problems do you have with simultaneous Voice & Data on Verizon's network?

• I experience dropped calls.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • LTE coverage isn't in all areas, so I can't consistently and reliably use simultaneous Voice & Data.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I don't receive iMessages when I'm on a phone call.

• I receive delayed iMessages when I'm on a phone call.

• Voice quality problems.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Problems with WiFi calling.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other - please post in thread after choosing this option.

• None of the issues listed above.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Absolutely NEVER had a problem with simultaneous voice and data. None. Ever.

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I'm thinking of switching to Verizon, from AT&T, but simultaneous voice and data, and overall LTE coverage is important to me. I'm in NY state, but all users are welcome, and encouraged to post. Please post your state in the comments if you feel comfortable doing so.

I only get one bar of coverage, if that, in my place. This applies to both Verizon and AT&T - it's my location within the building, and also loving in a partial dead zone. I currently have the AT&T Microcell, but am very curious about stories with WiFi calling on Verizon, and any issues you may have/be encountering. If I go with Verizon, I'm wondering if Wifi calling will work well enough to eliminate the Microcell (Network Extender) as Verizon calls it.

Also, any and all comments welcome!

turbo350z

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2014
I am on Verizon in Maryland since iPhone 5. (Iphone 4 was on At@t).

My current iPhone 6 works well with simultaneous voice and data. Verizon overall is amazing as far as service is concerned. I ALWAYS have service when other friends don't. The always brag because their bill is $50 cheaper a month but I would pay more for reliability any day.

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
VZW had been simultaneous LTE voice/data since the 6. Verizon, from my experience and where I mostly go is just a tad better than AT&T. Specially if you go to National Parks or rural areas.

Also VZW wifi calling is good. Their system detects if you don't have enough cell signal and turns to wifi calling when wifi is available. It always defaults to cell signal if the signal is strong enough even when you're on wifi. I think it's the same with AT&T.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I've been with Verizon since my Nokia 5120 in 1998.

Never had a reason to switch. The coverage area has always been amazing.

No complaints.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
VZW had been simultaneous LTE voice/data since the 6. Verizon, from my experience and where I mostly go is just a tad better than AT&T. Specially if you go to National Parks or rural areas.

Also VZW wifi calling is good. Their system detects if you don't have enough cell signal and turns to wifi calling when wifi is available. It always defaults to cell signal if the signal is strong enough even when you're on wifi. I think it's the same with AT&T.

Do you know what that cutoff point is for WiFi calling. If you have one to two bars of cell coverage, and full WiFi signal, will WiFi calling take precedence?

kerbero9

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Be aware that Verizon cannot do LTE to 3G handoff during a call. So for example, if you start a call on LTE and loose the LTE signal your call will be dropped. Verizon does offer superior coverage overall but there are definitely many LTE deadspots and interior building signal penetration sucks to be honest. I was a long time Verizon customer and switched to AT&T and have been much happier overall. As always with this type of stuff, your individual mileage may vary.

BTW - I'm in NYS Captial District Region.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Have to tried wifi calling on AT&T instead of the microcell?

Unfortunately, I have the 5s, and it doe not support WiFi calling. I am getting a new phone, (the 8) and I figure that if I'm going to switch, now is the time. Hence all my questions... :)

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
You didn't include a choice of no issues. That would be my choice

I left it out because I wanted to really press for the problems that people may be experiencing, and in my mind, it seemed to easy for people to just check a "no problems" option. Especially if someone is just a big fan of Verizon.

I did just add it though! Thanks for the feedback.

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
Unfortunately, I have the 5s, and it doe not support WiFi calling. I am getting a new phone, (the 8) and I figure that if I'm going to switch, now is the time. Hence all my questions... :)

Ah. Well, your best bet is to talk to people in your area that have Verizon and see how coverage is for them. AT&T and Verizon are mostly close in coverage in my area, but where I work Verizon has a great signal, but the tower is oversubscribed so as more people show up at work the speeds go from great to unusable. 3G is actually faster than LTE. These are things you would only find out by talking to people in your area.

Wifi calling on both are ok, but they tend to want to use cellular if there is any cell signal at all no matter how bad it is. You can always force it by going to airplane mode and then turning on wifi. Tmobile wifi calling works better because it prefers wifi over cellular.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Be aware that Verizon cannot do LTE to 3G handoff during a call. So for example, if you start a call on LTE and loose the LTE signal your call will be dropped. Verizon does offer superior coverage overall but there are definitely many LTE deadspots and interior building signal penetration sucks to be honest. I was a long time Verizon customer and switched to AT&T and have been much happier overall. As always with this type of stuff, your individual mileage may vary.

BTW - I'm in NYS Captial District Region.

Yes. I am aware of the limitation of no handoff to CDMA. This is a big concern for me, and why I added the option of dropped calls. I figured, maybe in error, that many dropped calls come from moving out of an LTE area.

Your feedback is helpful, especially about the indoor lack of LTE. Wen yo had Verizon, did you have LTE in most other outdoor areas you frequent? When did you leave Verizon?

Jim165

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015

I’m with Verizon and in Fort Worth. I get a consistent 3 bars in my house and my phone has always switched over to Wi-Fi calling when I’m at home...never fails. Fantastic call quality.

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
Yes. I am aware of the limitation of no handoff to CDMA. This is a big concern for me, and why I added the option of dropped calls. I figured, maybe in error, that many dropped calls come from moving out of an LTE area.

Your feedback is helpful, especially about the indoor lack of LTE. Wen yo had Verizon, did you have LTE in most other outdoor areas you frequent? When did you leave Verizon?

I hardly see 3G CDMA nowadays. In fact, VZW is refarming some of those frequencies for LTE. It'll be completed by next year or 2019 if I'm not mistaken.

daydayvol

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
For some reason where I live it has poor coverage just at my house. Everywhere else is fine. Told Verizon and they gave me 1/2 off a LTE network extender. It has made a huge difference and has worked flawlessly. Overall Verizon service is great.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Ah. Well, your best bet is to talk to people in your area that have Verizon and see how coverage is for them. AT&T and Verizon are mostly close in coverage in my area, but where I work Verizon has a great signal, but the tower is oversubscribed so as more people show up at work the speeds go from great to unusable. 3G is actually faster than LTE. These are things you would only find out by talking to people in your area.

Wifi calling on both are ok, but they tend to want to use cellular if there is any cell signal at all no matter how bad it is. You can always force it by going to airplane mode and then turning on wifi. Tmobile wifi calling works better because it prefers wifi over cellular.

I would only real want to use wifi calling in my place, as I get 1 to 2 bars of coverage. It sounds like either carrier would handle wifi calling okay for me.

Many of the people i associate with are not interested in telling me what their signal strength is, They scoff at using Service Mode, and think I'm destroying their phone. I can understand this as most people don't care about bars - they only want it to work. Plus a cell phone is so personal that putting it into Service Mode can really scare people (understandably).

Most of the people I do talk to say they never have a problem with Verizon, but when subtly pressed, they will admit to dropped calls, and some dead zones. Many people do not like to admit their choice of service provider isn't perfect.

OTOH, I call it as I see it. I have dead zones, and many times slow data (3-4 Mbs). I attribute this to less coverage, smaller 700 MHz chuck for AT&T, and the fact that my phone can't do Carrier Aggregation. I was in a spot, with AT&T, where I was on a band that had only 5MHz down and the same up. Not really a lot of bandwidth there.

I currently have 26 submissions in the AT&T Mark The Spot App, for the same general area, and say they had a technical issue, but that it's fixed. This has been going on for a couple of years now. I get zero to one bar of coverage even tour it's "fixed" lol

Would you mind sharing your general location?

Last edited:

Traderalways

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I'm thinking of switching to Verizon, from AT&T, but simultaneous voice and data, and overall LTE coverage is important to me. I'm in NY state, but all users are welcome, and encouraged to post. Please post your state in the comments if you feel comfortable doing so.

I only get one bar of coverage, if that, in my place. This applies to both Verizon and AT&T - it's my location within the building, and also loving in a partial dead zone. I currently have the AT&T Microcell, but am very curious about stories with WiFi calling on Verizon, and any issues you may have/be encountering. If I go with Verizon, I'm wondering if Wifi calling will work well enough to eliminate the Microcell (Network Extender) as Verizon calls it.

Also, any and all comments welcome!
Where in New York State are you?

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
I would only real want to use wifi calling in my place, as I get 1 to 2 bars of coverage. It sounds like either carrier would handle wifi calling okay for me.

Many of the people i associate with are not interested in telling me what their signal strength is, They scoff at using Service Mode, and think I'm destroying their phone. I can understand this as most people don't care about bars - they only want it to work. Plus a cell phone is so personal that putting it into Service Mode can really scare people (understandably).

Most of the people I do talk to say they never have a problem with Verizon, but when subtly pressed, they will admit to dropped calls, and some dead zones. Many people do not like to admit their choice of service provider isn't perfect.

OTOH, I call it as I see it. I have dead zones, and many times slow data (3-4 Mbs). I attribute this to less coverage, smaller 700 MHz chuck for AT&T, and the fact that my phone can't do Carrier Aggregation. I was in a spot, with AT&T, where I was on a band that had only 5MHz down and the same up. Not really a lot of bandwidth there.

I currently have 26 submissions in the AT&T Mark The Spot App, for the same general area, and say they had a technical issue, but that it's fixed. This has been going on for a couple of years now. I get zero to one bar of coverage even tour it's "fixed" lol

You can add me to the list of people that scoff at you. Service mode and bands and aggregation are not that important to me. What is is a simple speed test or can I stream music or video without buffering. That is all the information I need to know.

If it is an option get new service and pay for the phone in full on Verizon. It if doesn't work out a move to AT&T or Tmobile as the Verizon phone is unlocked and will work on all of them. With no contracts, it is mostly painless to do that.

Edit: can't should have been can. Big difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I hardly see 3G CDMA nowadays. In fact, VZW is refarming some of those frequencies for LTE. It'll be completed by next year or 2019 if I'm not mistaken.

I had read about this, but they have many machine devices using CDMA. Not sure how they will handle this if they do away with it.

Have you ever dropped a call do to falling back to 3G or 1x?
[doublepost=1509716009][/doublepost]
Where in New York State are you?

15 minute north of the city.

Edit: The City = Manhattan
[doublepost=1509716140][/doublepost]
You can't add me to the list of people that scoff at you. Service mode and bands and aggregation are not that important to me. What is is a simple speed test or can I stream music or video without buffering. That is all the information I need to know.

If it is an option get new service and pay for the phone in full on Verizon. It if doesn't work out a move to AT&T or Tmobile as the Verizon phone is unlocked and will work on all of them. With no contracts, it is mostly painless to do that.

This is the perfect situation, and one I have considered. I don't think I can pay full price right now. It is on the table though... I'm going to really consider this option :)

busschops

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
Other: occasional issues of no data connection during phone calls. I use Waze all the time when I'm driving, and notice occasionally that the data connection (to report traffic incidents, or reroute for example) is not available while I'm on a call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.