Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
around
I'm with Verizon and have the iPhone 7 plus. I want to get the iPhone X and I have to trade in my phone to get it or pay right at $400 to keep mine.

What happens if I go online in the morning to order the iPhone X and I don't turn in my phone? Will I get billed the original $400 which is fine with me (I wasn't going to get the iPhone X so I didn't put back the money for it) because I can pay it next payday, or will they tack on some sort of penalty fee?

I know some would say wait until I can pay for it but I don't want to wait months to get the iPhone X and I know that will happen if I don't order it opening night. I just want to know what will happen if I don't turn in my iphone.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Seems like a bad idea to preorder the phone if you aren’t able to pay off the one you have. Especially considering that that the X is $1k item, and you have a perfectly capable device. Verizon is not going to let you game the system..,

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2016
I'm with Verizon and have the iPhone 7 plus. I want to get the iPhone X and I have to trade in my phone to get it or pay right at $400 to keep mine.

What happens if I go online in the morning to order the iPhone X and I don't turn in my phone? Will I get billed the original $400 which is fine with me (I wasn't going to get the iPhone X so I didn't put back the money for it) because I can pay it next payday, or will they tack on some sort of penalty fee?

I know some would say wait until I can pay for it but I don't want to wait months to get the iPhone X and I know that will happen if I don't order it opening night. I just want to know what will happen if I don't turn in my iphone.

If you don’t turn in your phone you are going to be responsible for the remaining balance that’s due.

Reactions: maflynn

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
around
If you don’t turn in your phone you are going to be responsible for the remaining balance that’s due.
That’s what I was trying to find out. I finally caved and called up Verizon and asked them. They said when I receive the new device, they give you about 45 days to turn in the old one. They said they add the total amount you owe on your bill right away, and when they receive your device the credit that amount back to your account.

If I don’t turn it in, I just have to pay what is due which is fine. I will next payday. Like I said earlier I did not plan on getting this iPhone X until today so I don’t have the funds today to pay off my current phone, and I plan on keeping it so I will pay it off next payday.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I'll be buying the X, don't really want to spend the money right now, if certain things all fall into place.

I wake up before 2am (CDT) Friday morning.
Not sold out for launch day by 2:01 am.
I can order the 256GB SIM Free model

So I most likely won't be ordering it Friday. For instance, don't plan to set alarm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.