Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok, so, I am both confused and annoyed, but maybe I'm the only one who noticed this. I like to, before buying or downloading an app on the App Store, check the version history to see how often it is being updated, and if it has had a recent update, just to see if the developer is supporting the app still or is reliable, etc. If I'm going to buy something, I want it to be worth it, basically.

In iOS 10 (and eariler), I could tap the version history section, and it would give me the actual *dates* of each version. Now, however, I noticed for a *lot* of my apps that I've already purchased, as well as ones I'm considering purchasing, the version history is all screwed up. For example, the game Nexomon shows the version history as most recent down to oldest, like usual, but the actual *dates/times* of the updates are obviously *not* correct, as the newest update is shown as 1 week old, while the oldest is shown as 2 minutes old, but several updates in between those two show as only 1 minute old.

Does Apple have a new way to calculate the age of an app's versions? Or is this some weird glitch I've discovered? I'm glad I have an iPad that is too old to run iOS 11, because I will check that same app out that I am looking at on my phone on the old App Store first to see how often an app is updated, etc. Otherwise, I have no idea what I may be getting into with spending my hard-earned money on an app.

Does anyone have any insight into this for me? I'm going to check out what the App Store says on my iPad still running iOS 10 for the version history for Nexomon and add it to this post then, but right now I am at my desk and can't get to my iPad.

Edit: In iOS 10.3.3 on my iPad, the version history for Nexomon shows the oldest version being from August 10 and the newest from October 4, with all dates in between in order, too. So even the newest update isn't listed correctly in iOS 11, as it is nearly *2* weeks old, not one. In fact, it will be 2 weeks old tomorrow.

Any ideas/help? Anyone?

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok, so, I am both confused and annoyed, but maybe I'm the only one who noticed this. I like to, before buying or downloading an app on the App Store, check the version history to see how often it is being updated, and if it has had a recent update, just to see if the developer is supporting the app still or is reliable, etc. If I'm going to buy something, I want it to be worth it, basically.

In iOS 10 (and eariler), I could tap the version history section, and it would give me the actual *dates* of each version. Now, however, I noticed for a *lot* of my apps that I've already purchased, as well as ones I'm considering purchasing, the version history is all screwed up. For example, the game Nexomon shows the version history as most recent down to oldest, like usual, but the actual *dates/times* of the updates are obviously *not* correct, as the newest update is shown as 1 week old, while the oldest is shown as 2 minutes old, but several updates in between those two show as only 1 minute old.

Does Apple have a new way to calculate the age of an app's versions? Or is this some weird glitch I've discovered? I'm glad I have an iPad that is too old to run iOS 11, because I will check that same app out that I am looking at on my phone on the old App Store first to see how often an app is updated, etc. Otherwise, I have no idea what I may be getting into with spending my hard-earned money on an app.

Does anyone have any insight into this for me? I'm going to check out what the App Store says on my iPad still running iOS 10 for the version history for Nexomon and add it to this post then, but right now I am at my desk and can't get to my iPad.

Edit: In iOS 10.3.3 on my iPad, the version history for Nexomon shows the oldest version being from August 10 and the newest from October 4, with all dates in between in order, too. So even the newest update isn't listed correctly in iOS 11, as it is nearly *2* weeks old, not one. In fact, it will be 2 weeks old tomorrow.

Any ideas/help? Anyone?
Could the confusion be coming from the use of the 'm' abbreviation, where Apple seems to use it to mean "months" rather than "minutes"?

As for something being nearly 2 weeks old but showing up as 1 week old, well, that can be that it's not 2 weeks old until it's actually 2 weeks old (or older). Kind of like notifications would show up as being from 1 hour ago, even if they might already be from 1 hour and 47 minutes ago, and won't appear as being from 2 hours ago until 2 hours actually pass.

Some of this is discussed at https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...from-as-early-as-2008-for-some-users.2073092/

Last edited:

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I got an update for word from 9/20. Well it’s updated many times between then and now but it said that the update was released 9/20. Weird right? Oh and I’ve went into the App Store often to check for updates

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
its all broken since ios 11 beta and still nothing its so annoying and dont think its gonna be fixed anytime soon the new app store is a mess

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
That’s the only app I’ve had issues with. Some people here seem to be in a mess and just overly critical of Apple. They’re doing great. Yes there are bugs but give it time and report them. They can’t fix what they don’t know is broken or not functional. Just relax everyone it takes time to fix bugs

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
It seems to be for any app for me, but I haven’t checked recently, as I’ve just been doing the check the old App Store first method I’ve been using. Thank goodness fo an out-of-Date iPad! (Never thought I’d say that.) Even if it does mean months instead of minutes, that’s still not helpful, as it doesn’t give you the exact date. Again, though, I’ve just been using my iPad to check things out first. I’ll check to see if the issue is still there in iOS 11 and report back.

Edit: So I just did a quick check of Nexomon again, and a previous reply seems to be correct: I was getting “m” confused between months and minutes. However, it was still out of order originally (the list went: 2m, 3m, 2m), but that seems to be fixed now. However, not being able to see actual dates is still a problem for me, as a couple app series I play don’t technically have an order to them, but I like to play them in release order. But with oldest ones being reased 5 years ago, that’s all the version history says: 3 or 4 apps with 5y. That’s doesn’t tell me which of those 3 or 4 apps came first. But that is my personal issue. The actual problem has been fixed, though. So for me, it’s a win-lose, I guess.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.