Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoltan_egg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Hi guys,

How long should 600 GB of data take to backup on an external hard drive?
My Time Machine says 22h, encrypted!

Is this normal, or maybe my external hard drive is somehow slow?
It's a new Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Slim 2Tb, USB 3.0.

Curious to hear from you.
I have a 2012 Macbook Pro with a standard 500 GB HD Hard Drive and 250 GB of a new SSD.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Yeah ... that sounds about right for the first backup. With normal usage, subsequent update backups should only take a minute or two.

Note: if you have a virtual Windows installation with Parallels or VMware, that will add considerably to each update since the "virtual" file is probably around 30 GB and will indicate an update any time Windows has been run.

Reactions: zoltan_egg

zoltan_egg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Thanks a lot guys. Was worried that the drive I bought is not suitable for backup.
Do you happen to know if I can backup two Macs onto one external hard drive?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Thanks a lot guys. Was worried that the drive I bought is not suitable for backup.
Do you happen to know if I can backup two Macs onto one external hard drive?
No problem ... TimeMachine will create a separate folder for each computer name and enter the backup sessions under the proper folder for whatever computer you have it attached.

Reactions: Weaselboy

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
I also find that Time Machine takes too long on the initial backups. This is partly because the OS puts a low priority on the task. However there is a way to temporarily resolve this (it will reset when you restart). I only use this on the initial backup as i don't find it as useful on the smaller incremental backups after.

Open Terminal and enter,

sudo sysctl debug.lowpri_throttle_enabled=0

The above will not let Time Machine enter low priority and in turn really speeds things up.

Reactions: elf69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.