Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
Well I have this digital camera that came from AOL about 7-8 years ago? I can't seem to find out how to get the images off of the camera. It has a USB port, but it's a female port and I'm wondering how I can connect it to my computer if all it has is a femal usb port. It also has a video out port and port labeled digital (no idea what it means). It's just a port that looks sort of like an audio jack. There is a CF card bay but whenever I insert one of my CF cards it just says error with card, Error: 004. The CF card is fine though and works when I put it in any other camera. I'm just trying to find out how I can get the pics off.

The only info I have is that it's labeled:

"American Online
PhotoCamplus"

On the bottom it says "Digital Camera 640 x 480"

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Here's a picture

a4_1.JPG

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
FWIW the "digital" audio jack is probably just an RS-232 port in disguise, just like on TiVo and older Sony camcorders...

Look to the Linux community, e.g. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gphoto-devel&m=101894365612559&w=2 to find people who have reverse engineered the protocol. Looks like the serial port is compatible with a Kodak camera.

The manufacturer's website has an old driver for G3 and G4 Macs that works over the serial port. Check out http://pretec.com The camera is a DC-640, and there aer drivers for the DC-600...

B

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Why not put the CF in the other cameras you were talking about and get the pictures off the way you would with those cameras?

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
OutThere said:
Why not put the CF in the other cameras you were talking about and get the pictures off the way you would with those cameras?

? The camera wont read any of my CF cards. I get an error only on this camera that says "Error in Card, Error: 004" for all of my cards. The cards work fine on any other camera.

Oh and if you were thinking the camera takes pictures onto the CF, it doesn't. It takes the pictures on to the internal memory and then there is an option in the menu of the camera to copy the pictures to the CF card. But since it wont read CF cards, I can't use that feature.

balamw said:
FWIW the "digital" audio jack is probably just an RS-232 port in disguise, just like on TiVo and older Sony camcorders...

Look to the Linux community, e.g. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gphoto-devel&m=101894365612559&w=2 to find people who have reverse engineered the protocol. Looks like the serial port is compatible with a Kodak camera.

The manufacturer's website has an old driver for G3 and G4 Macs that works over the serial port. Check out http://pretec.com The camera is a DC-640, and there aer drivers for the DC-600...

B

Thanks. The manufacturer's website helped a lot.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Hummer said:
? The camera wont read any of my CF cards. I get an error only on this camera that says "Error in Card, Error: 004" for all of my cards. The cards work fine on any other camera.

Oh and if you were thinking the camera takes pictures onto the CF, it doesn't. It takes the pictures on to the internal memory and then there is an option in the menu of the camera to copy the pictures to the CF card. But since it wont read CF cards, I can't use that feature.

Thanks. The manufacturer's website helped a lot.

Is there no option on the camera to format a CF card so you can tranfer files onto one? Or do you know what format the camera accepts - most cameras will accept cards formatted in FAT16 format?

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
blodwyn said:
Is there no option on the camera to format a CF card so you can tranfer files onto one? Or do you know what format the camera accepts - most cameras will accept cards formatted in FAT16 format?

There is an option to copy all the files on the CF card from the internal memory, but no option to format the CF card. I can't figure out why it won't read the card so I can use that function. I have no idea what format the camera accepts.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Hummer said:
There is an option to copy all the files on the CF card from the internal memory, but no option to format the CF card. I can't figure out why it won't read the card so I can use that function. I have no idea what format the camera accepts.
Have you been trying small CF cards. i.e 8-32 MB type cards instead of today's 1 GB and beyond cards.... My guess is that big cards w/FAT32 will not be supported...

B

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
balamw said:
Have you been trying small CF cards. i.e 8-32 MB type cards instead of today's 1 GB and beyond cards.... My guess is that big cards w/FAT32 will not be supported...

B

I've tried a 256 mb card and a 1 gig card. Perhaps you're right. I may need something a lot smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.